The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Version Control PHP on FreeBSD

I have a medium complex application built in PHP 4.3 on a FreeBSD 4.8-STABLE system.

I will soon be adding several sister applicatins to it and this one application will grow to cover several domains and databases. 

Everything will be in place on one dedicated server. 

My question is what to use for version control and builds?  I  am not too familiar with CVS, and don't even know if I can run it on FreeBSD, or how to do builds from it.

Looking for resources to educate myself if anyone can point me to good articles that are specific to using cvs for php.

Also willing to pay for a bit of consulting to make sure I do this right, if I run accross the right person.

Any ideas?
Eli Garcia Send private email
Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I'd go with subversion instead. It's very similar to CVS but it allows you to rename and move files. Also, commits are atomic.
Mostly Harmless
Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Use Subversion unless you have a compelling reason to stick with CVS.

There are prebuilt svn packages for FreeBSD, but they may not be the latest version. If you need to compile it yourself, you can make life easier for yourself by omitting Berkeley DB. You'll be limited to using the FSFS filestore (see the svn FAQ for details) but I've found it to be much more reliable than BDB anyway.
comp.lang.c refugee
Wednesday, September 21, 2005

You probably also want to read either the "Pragmatic Programmer's Guide to Source Control" or the http://software.ericsink.com/scm/ (or both).
Grant
Sunday, September 25, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics