The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Fundamental Question about XML & Databases...

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to put together a solution that requires the following:

1) Putting a "wrapper" around an existing, standardized, XML entity-relationship definition of a particular data set. This wrapper needs to specify various meta data that describes who originated the data and when. For example, it is not enough that the client knows that entity A has just changed values from X to Y (which the existing XML definition provides). They need to know who changed entity A from X to Y and when.

2) Storing data that is transported and characterized by this XML definition into a database of some sorts.

a) Is the solution to (1) as simple as extending the existing standardized XML definition?

b) Does (2) require us to basically break down the various XML encoded data into peices that can be shoehorned into a relational DB or is there some kind of XML-aware DB that is good enough to be deployed out in the field for clients who are EXTREMELY RISK AVERSE (i.e. they currently use Oracle and SQL Server as DB platforms throughout their organization).

I figure (1) is simple enough to attack...but (2) is definitely more tricky and probably ties in a bit with (1).

Thanks a lot...
Soft Duck AKA Skeletor
Thursday, September 08, 2005
Oracle is very XML-capable ... have a skim through the XML docs at to see if it meets your requirements.
David Aldridge Send private email
I'll second the above. I work at a company that manages ridiculous amounts of XML, and we store it in Oracle databases.
Have you considered using a native XML database, e.g. ?
Saturday, September 10, 2005
Oh, btw, has lots and lots of info about storing XML in both native and XML-aware databases
Saturday, September 10, 2005
" Have you considered using a native XML database, e.g. ?"

Don't sound too risk-averse to me ;)
David Aldridge Send private email
Tuesday, September 13, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics