The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Design of RSS like REST system

From what I understand RSS is a REST vocabulary for simple web-services.  Correct me if I am wrong here.  My question; it seems like RSS is read-only?  How would you build a read/write REST system that would work with RSS.  For example, let us say I wanted to add a blog entry, the write data might contain the following from RSS:

Various vocabulary:

rss version(attribute)
channel - Child Tag
  title - Child Tag
  link - Child Tag
  description - Child Tag
  item - Child Tag

Has anybody seen this done before?  I guess I could use POST?
Berlin Brown Send private email
Tuesday, September 06, 2005
As far as I know RSS is just a format. It does't specify anything about how it is operated on.
son of parnas
I have seen tools to take an RSS feed and post that info to your blog (not just display the RSS like is the norm).

You could do something like that... but is it worth it?  You would have to create the RSS feed to populate your blog... when you could just as easily write the blog entry.
Eric D. Burdo Send private email
Have a look at the REST interface to the API
Lorenzo Bolognini Send private email
If you're interested in a format for publishing as well as syndicating web content, you might want to look at the Atom Syndication Format:
Rob T
The Atom API is exactly what you're looking for.

The atomenabled site isn't that great, but you can find the spec on it...

There's a bunch of others, look up 'metaweblog api' or something like that to find them...
mb Send private email
Saturday, September 10, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics