The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

My thoughts on learning Ruby...

If anyone is interested I've started a blog about learning Ruby at (hope Joel doesn't mind the title... :-)).  My plan is to produce a series of articles with each article building on the previous with the goal of a working app at the end.

I've started off with a directory browser app that I wrote recently to help me find all the files that Rails spews when it generates a project.  If you are interested in Ruby take a look.
Doug Martin Send private email
Friday, August 26, 2005
Why ruby?
Confused Send private email
Saturday, August 27, 2005
It's a good start. I would like to see more thoughts though. What is your opinion of ruby as you are doing stuff? What do you find hard? Easy? How does it compare to other languages you have used?

This might help:
son of parnas
Saturday, August 27, 2005

I like this so far. Good work. I agree with the above comment too. It would be good to add comparisons with other languages and what you think about the trade offs, design decisions.

I look forward to reading more...
Sunday, August 28, 2005
Thanks for the feedback.

I'd originally thought of the site as a way for beginning Ruby devs to work through some real world apps.

However the feedback that I've received here and from other readers all tell me that people want reasons to pick up yet another language.  I've listened and my next post will offer more critique with the same level of "howto".

Again, thanks for the feedback and I'll update this thread after my next post, which will appear later in the week.

- Doug
Monday, August 29, 2005
Your blog needs an RSS feed.
John Topley Send private email
Saturday, September 03, 2005
The next article in the series is now up at -- I'm still trying to get the kinks out of the format for the articles so bear with me.

I won't spam this thread in future updates.  I hope everyone had a great Labor Day Weekend!
Monday, September 05, 2005
It's a nice series. My only criticism is that you use the word "lets" a lot and it should be "let's" because it's a contraction of "let us".
Irregular Regular
Tuesday, September 06, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics