The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

GW-BASIC

Can you point me towards downloading/purchasing a version of gw=basic that will work on XP? I have programs that I wrote when I was on Windows 3.1 which will not not work on XP. Very frustrasting!
Fred Macdonald Send private email
Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Almost H. Anonymous Send private email

Ah, GW-Basic...how many of my sins can be ascribed to thee.

Sorry, I am not being much help here but I had to comment on a topic that sturs so much nostalgia in me.

Just a quick check in the Google store seems to indicate this is possible.
Mark Flory Send private email

I use Virtual PC for all my old stuff including a few old Basic programs.
Bill Rushmore Send private email

Couldn't you grab a version of QBasic? AFAIK, anything that runs on the former should run o the latter.
Colm O'Connor Send private email

I didn't think that QBasic and GWBasic syntax were compatible.

I thought I had downloaded a copy -- but when I checked my copy which runs on Win2K, it's an old 3.2 copy from 1987.
AllanL5

Silly Me

DOSBox is good for running DOS. Since it is an emulator it has some performance overhead, but it's not an issue when running programs designed for an 8088.

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/
Ben Atkin Send private email

Windows 3.1 did not have anything to do with GWBASIC. (so, windows 3.1 is not the issue with GWBASIC)

I think you needed at least DOS 3.1 or 3.3 to run windows (and, the dos 3 series did come with GWBASIC).

QBASIC shipped with later versions, and CAN import GWBASIC if you saved the GWBASIC code as ASCII. (I don’t remember how to do that save, and you would need a running copy of GWBASIC anyway!).

If you do have the GWBASIC files as ascii, then starting qbasic with the /MBF option will read the gwbasic code.

However, I would think that GWBASIC does work on a new XP box in a dos window.

Your problem would be moving the code, and more so, placing the GWBASIC on the xp box. (if you can do that….try running GWBASIC…I bet it works). Looking at my collection of stuff, anything with GWBASIC is on a 5.25 floppy, and I don’t even have one of those anymore!!

I mean, the original 1981 Visi-Calc spread sheet still works on a new XP box. You can find it here:

http://www.bricklin.com/history/vcexecutable.htm

So, the above leads me to believe that your old GWBASIC stuff will work on a new XP box. You just need the GWBASIC software. I suspect that is your problem (and your question!!!). Do you still have that old windows 3.1 box running?...just copy the GWBASIC to your new machine.

Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Kallal@ msn.com
http://www.members.shaw.ca/AlbertKallal
Albert D. Kallal Send private email
Thursday, August 11, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics