The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

lots of choices in html form interface

I am looking for ideas or examples on how to best design a web form with lots of choices/options without obvious categories. Right now I have 40 checkboxes, which is rather ugly, even if I add some javascript to visually highlight choices etc.

Any better ideas? It must be in html/css/javascript.
Wannabee Webdev
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Maybe 2 listboxes with a column of buttons between them (  Add (>>), Remove (<<), Add All and Remove All).  The 1st list box is labeled something like "Choices" and the 2nd is something like "Currently Selected".

More compact and probably easier on the eye.
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Can you group the form contents into logical sections that can be collapsed and expanded?
John Topley Send private email
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Can you use <UL><LI></LI></UL> within a table to group the lists in the form?
Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I don't think that's a good idea. While it may initially look simpler to the novice user, it will involve lots of extra clicks which in itself may become confusing or piss off the power user.

Lots of checkboxes is fine, as long as you lay them out properly. I recommend laying them out one per line, style them up to use a nice font and perhaps even a nice image checkbox or something.
redeye Send private email
Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I don't know what your options are for, so this is a stab in the dark.

How about providing a few buttons at the top of the form which will turn on or off various default combinations, for example something like Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced.

Users can choose a pre set combination or fiddle with each option independantly.
redeye Send private email
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
If they can be grouped I would have a button that would drop the group down using AJAX when selected. If they aren't interested in the group then they wouldn't see all the options.
son of parnas
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
Can you try a wizard style interface?
Tuesday, August 09, 2005
We need to know more. The best answer to your question will depend on the relationships between the various options.

I'd suggest marking it up as simply as possible, with just inputs and labels, and posting a link.
comp.lang.c refugee
Tuesday, August 09, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics