The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Knowledge and Intelligence

When you start developing the software, what sort of knowledge and intelligence  is required in general.

Thanks!
TechDeveloper
Monday, August 08, 2005

Answers to the following questions:

Who?
Why?
What?
When?
Where?
How?
Christopher Wells Send private email
Monday, August 08, 2005

Wow! There's a book in that somewhere.
Andrey Butov Send private email
Monday, August 08, 2005

The first thing you need is the ability to ask good questions...
KC Send private email
Monday, August 08, 2005

Judging from most of the developers I've encountered, little knowledge and intelligence is required.  The most important skill is faking it.
SomeBody Send private email
Monday, August 08, 2005

You need to be able to draw out precisely what it is people want. Understand their aims (something that they're not always clear on themselvse) and then provide a solution that meets their requirements.

The first bit is harder, IME. And more fun.
Colm O'Connor Send private email
Monday, August 08, 2005

Well, if you read a damn programming book once in a while, it couldn't hurt, could it?

*cough*  Sorry.  Bad day at work.
Kyralessa Send private email
Monday, August 08, 2005

Can't say I've ever felt the need to read a book on programming.
Colm O'Connor Send private email
Monday, August 08, 2005

Eh... more than your question demonstrates?
Matt
Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Note that TechDeveloper doesn't ask for a software, but for *THE* software. I can provide the following hints:

- Research and find the cosmic world formular first, base THE software on it.

- Go into your garage, play around a bit with microcontrollers, develop THE operating system, then end up rich and famous, buying Microsoft, Apple, IBM and all the other all at once.

- Write a book like TAOCP and a program like TeX. After you finish this, you have all knowledge and intelligence necessary to write THE software.
Wesayso
Tuesday, August 09, 2005

At least he wrote "the software", and not "the softs".
sloop
Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Foresight.
redeye Send private email
Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Sorry, gang, but "THE" operating system was written by Dijkstra & his students at the Technische Hogesschool Eindhoven in the 1960s...
George Jansen Send private email
Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The THE operating system has been available since the mid-'60s but there may still be opportunites to provide applications for it..
Abstract Typist Send private email
Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Then it is older than me, no wonder I never heard of it. But how the hell do I search for anything named "THE"? ;)
Wesayso

That one was easy: Enter "the the operating system" into google, including the "". ;)
Wesayso

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics