The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Will posters please stop referring to places of work where software is developed as 'shops'.

Shops are either retail establishments, or places where chaps in greasy overalls do things with metal.

Thank you.
chap in greasy overalls
Friday, July 29, 2005
I think your chaps are too tight....

From this link...

..this definition:

"A business establishment; an office or a center of activity."

Lighten up man. :)
Jeff Mastry Send private email
Friday, July 29, 2005
Software shops fit this description perfectly! It is just that we use very, very small pieces of metal; and instead of wearing greasy overalls ourselves, all of the messing around with the metal is done by thousands of microscopic MEn in Greasy over-alls (MEGs). These MEGs do such tiny operations far faster than any normal-sized human could accomplish.

Of course, these men are being rapidly supplanted by the larger and more efficient Giants In Greasy overalls (GIGs).

You should take the time to be knowledgeable about these things.
Jesse Millikan
Friday, July 29, 2005
i like 'code house', because it makes me think of 'crack house' or 'wh*re house'
Friday, July 29, 2005
Ligten up, they're just using 'shop' as shorthand for 'sweatshop':

"a factory where workers do piecework for poor pay"
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Saturday, July 30, 2005
"Shop" always struck me as a proletarian allusion. 'Shop' indicates where 'hands on work' is done, versus decision making, strategy or "real brainwork".

Coming from an engineering background and being used to large companies and being deemed a "professional" early in my career, the "shop" label for engineering and IT places of work always grated on me. But it's essentially correct when you look at the workplace culture and the view of upper management.
Bored Bystander Send private email
Sunday, July 31, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics