The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Ajax and XML over HTTP solutions

Curious, what approaches are being used for designing the X in Ajax?  Is there a standard approach for designing the XML document or is it up to the developer.

Also, are approaches used in Ajax used in XML over HTTP distributed computing environments.  Basically could the client-to-server-to-client approach used in ajax be applied to say. client-to-server-to-server-to-server-to-client.

I know we think of web as one-to-one relationship.  But, for lack of a better term, I think this grid stuff could take off if done correctly.
Berlin Brown Send private email
Thursday, July 28, 2005

XSLT can be used for the X. The XML part isn't necessary, perhaps not even smart. Sending javascript back makes more sense to me.

For some of the other stuff try  http://particletree.com/notebook/ajax-toolkit-and-framework-roundup
son of parnas
Thursday, July 28, 2005

I'm using a very simple java object + javascripts to make requests from the web pages. Something like:

<object name="requester" class="Requester.class"></object>
<div id="1"></div>

document.getElementById("1").innerHTML = requester.get("http://google.com");

It's a lot of work to build this sort of page. This is where a tool like Ajax is useful.

As far as distributed computing goes?

In a distributed environment, typically a single transaction on one computer takes multiple requests to 1 or many other computers. Ajax doesn't seem to handle this type of scenario.

For peer computing, see www.jxta.org
Dino Send private email
Thursday, July 28, 2005

jxta, I wonder how open it is.
Thursday, July 28, 2005

The browser security restrictions around AJAX prevents you from calling to sites other than your own directly from the client.

This means that your web pages can only talk to your web server, I think this is to prevent your scripts from posting things like cookies to another server for naughty purposes.

You must use your server as a proxy to the other services. (which allows you to monitor and cache etc.)

I love the idea of single web page calling many sites from the client, I tried to build it and kept getting permission denied.
Tim H Send private email
Friday, July 29, 2005

I use SQLXML to SQL Server 2000 as the X in Ajax. Not only you get database to XML-based queries for nearly free, but using the same set of schemas you get XML-based updates too. Throw away custom SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT and DELETE code and just replace it with SQLXML XPath queries and batch updategrams.
Glen Low Send private email
Sunday, July 31, 2005

Glen Low:

Yea, microsoft some interesting things.  My only problem with it, I didn't know testable that approach was or secure, but it was interesting.
Sunday, July 31, 2005

Our company developed an entire application platform based on XML and ajax.
The solution executes DHTML the server the same way you do on the client, (using javascript), returning nothing but the dhtml runtime to the browser as (x)html.
A javascript animation can therefor easily be animated/executed on the server in realtime, consumed by the browser using xmlhttp during the process.
- It simply fetches the (current) (x)html and inserts it clientside.
There are examples at our site, http://www.naltabyte.se , which illustrates better what I mean, especially the presentation example which is a live intro animation.
Mikael Bergkvist Send private email
Monday, August 01, 2005

SQLXML is likely as testable as most other X in AJAX solutions -- once you do your schemas, you can throw the right URL's at it to see what comes back but you have to handle the error messages on the client side.

As for security, it's got a decent Windows-based security model. You can use SQL security, NTLM integrated or a fixed log in. You can restrict POSTs, template execution etc. You can limit it to Xpath expressions only which lessens the damage inflicted by evil code -- it's nigh impossible to write a SQLXML updategram to DELETE everything FROM databaseTable.
Glen Low
Thursday, August 11, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics