The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

.NET / C# IDEs

Hi,

I'm working on a product which I will integrate as an add-in for VS.NET and SharpDevelop. Do you know of any other IDEs for .NET or at least C# that I might want to support?

Thanks,
Phil
mokka'logic Send private email
Friday, July 22, 2005

Depending on what it does you might wish to consider integrating with some of the Borland tools - Delphi compiles to .NET these days of course, so if your tool is not language specific, that may be a thought?
Andrew Cherry Send private email
Friday, July 22, 2005

Delphi 2005 actually supports both C# and Delphi as .NET languages within the Delphi IDE.  So I  suppose that's an option.  I assume you'd want to gather some info regarding number of people actually using it or likely to buy your product for it before you devoted time to integrating into Delphi IDE.
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Friday, July 22, 2005

You named the two biggies that I've seen in common use -- VS.NET and SharpDevelop.  There's also WebMatrix which targeted at ASP.NET development.  Keep in mind that pretty much the only people that use SharpDevelop or WebMatrix instead of VS.NET are the ones who are too cheap to buy VS.NET so if you're hoping to make money on your add-in, don't expect much those.  On the other hand, depending on what your add-on does, I could see a market for inexpensive WebMatrix add-ons that bump up the feature set.
SomeBody Send private email
Friday, July 22, 2005

It's going to be low-cost / no frills---BUT extremely useful to a handful of people, so yes I'm gonna target these two IDEs as well (if they make it relatively easy for me to do so)...  =)

Thanks, folks!
mokka'logic Send private email
Friday, July 22, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics