The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Norton Ghost aficionados?

I couldn't find a specific answer to this on the Symantec web site or in a Ghost tutorial. Can I use Ghost in the following way:
1. Boot into Ghost off a bootable CD
2. Remove the CD and put in a DVD
3. Back up my drive onto DVD, which consists of a Windows XP partition, a Linux ext3 partition, and a FAT16 partition which is used as a transfer area & is not important to back up.

Note: I don't have a floppy drive since, in this day & age, they're about as useful as an asshat, and there's no room in the Biostar box anyway.

Oh yeah, can I back up onto my FTP server too?
John Foxx
Thursday, July 14, 2005
You can do different things with Ghost Pro, versus Ghost 'home' edition (the one most people buy).

I tend to use Drive Quest's "Drive Image" myself, as the 'home' version lets you restore individual files, individual directories, or just browse your backups.

Thursday, July 14, 2005
I can't help with any of your questions, but last month I upgraded the drive in my laptop and wanted to clone from the old drive to the new drive in a usb enclosure. I had heard a lot about Ghost so I bought a copy. After messing around with it way longer than re-installing would have taken I tried their compettitor, Acronis TrueImage, and was done in 10 minutes. If you're considering Ghost I'd highly reccomend that you check out TrueImage as well. It jsut seemed like a much better product all around.
--Josh Send private email
Thursday, July 14, 2005
One thing that may help you is putting the Ghost boot installation on a USB memory stick. That way you don't need to take the "system drive" away to use the DVD writer. As Ghost uses some kind of DOS clone, I am doubtful if you can take away the system drive and use the program successfully.

If your computer supports booting from a USB drive then you should be ok. I am definelty using Ghost in this config both to image/restore from one partrition to another locally and across the network using their "Ghostcast" system. Unfortunatelt I didn't build the USB key so I can't tell you how to do that.
Florian Heine Send private email
Friday, July 15, 2005
Thanks for the tips. I think I'll check out TrueImage. I've used Ghost a little at places I've worked & didn't find it very easy to use. Some things about Ghost 9 give me the heebie jeebies (such as the new licensing scheme, and imaging the Windows partition from within Windows while it's running--yikes!)
John Foxx
Friday, July 15, 2005
+1000 for TrueImage.

I love TrueImage, it has saved my A$$ and is a WHOLE lot easier to use than Ghost. One big plus is that you don't have to use the same boot-disc that you made the image with to restore it and you don't have to type a stupid serial number in just to use the boot disc.
Wayne Send private email
Friday, July 15, 2005
+1 for TrueImage. I've never used Ghost and only bought TrueImage a few months back, but I'm quite impressed. It is very easy to use and does precisely what you expect it to do.
Neville Franks Send private email
Sunday, July 17, 2005
I've dumped both DriveImage and Ghost. I just hate Norton Products these days - far too invasive, bloated, etc.

Try "Acronis" disk image. It's SOOOOO much faster than Ghost (ten times faster!) and is currently winning all comparison tests in Magazines. It also has some very neat features (eg. mount a disk image as a drive so you can explore it). Oh, and there's a Linux version as well.

Acronis also makes an equivalent to Partition Magic which is unbelievable. The other day I wanted to delete my "D" partition and make my "C" partition bigger to fill the space. I set it up and clicked "yes" and the dialog just closed. No grinding of disks, no reboots, no nothing (remember this was my *system* partition so I expected a reboot at least...)

I was convinced there was a bug and it had failed to do its job. There was no way it could have worked. It took me ten minutes or so to convince myself that it had indeed done the job and everything was fine.

Norton utilities? You can keep 'em...

Monday, July 18, 2005
I kept trying to use Ghost (after paying 80 bucks for it), and it would give me an error message and abort after babysitting it for 4 hours.

All I can say is I bought Ghost to backup my laptop, and I now have Ghost and no backup.  And I tried a few times to run it, wasted hours and hours, wasted some DVD's and nothing. 

So it's probably my fault right, for wanting a backup and not doing something to make Ghost happy.  I just wish Ghost would error out sooner so that I wouldn't wast 4 hours.  (Oh yea, my laptop processor gets so red hot while running a ghost backup, that I have to run a regular room fan on it to keep it from buring up)

POS in my book, stay away, find an alternative
Monday, July 18, 2005
Well, it looks pretty conclusive, I bought Acronis (only $60, it's hard to complain about that). I have a fairly involved dual-boot Windows/Linux machine and, while I have backups of all my software, it would be a real pain in the ass to have to re-install it all. Maybe now I won't have to grit my teeth every time I drive over railroad tracks with my computer in the car :-) Thanks for the advice guys, I sure do appreciate it.
John Foxx
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
One other thing....

I booted from the Acronisrecovery disk yesterday just to see if it works. It boots almost instantly, unlike the ten minute CD-grind of Norton Ghost.

Lightweight, well thought out, comprehensive. These things show that people are making that extra effort and inspire confidence in a utility.

Slowness, bloat, invasive installs, reboots, ".Net required"? These things do not.
Tuesday, July 19, 2005
I just got my copy of TrueImage & used it for the first time...wonderful: it *just worked* and I didn't have to know anything. Acronis rocks!
John Foxx
Friday, July 22, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics