The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Searching GUI Programming Technique Book

Hi All,

I am looking for a book that explains programming GUI techniques in general.  I am not looking for GUI programming in MFC, C# or Java etc.  I am more interested in pseudo code that explains the drawing and the state machine of simple widgets such as buttons, to complex widgets such as Multiline-TextBox.  Also want to learn how WYSIWYG works in deeper details.

Why? I want to try out developing a GUI tool kits of my own for fun.

Any suggestions?

Sunday, October 17, 2004
There are a few books where the author develops his own GUI library for programming on a specific OS (or maybe even cross platform). That might be as close as you're going to get. Outside of pure algorithm books, most people don't want pseudo code books because they're so, well, pseudo.

Flava Flav!
Flava Flav
Monday, October 18, 2004
Thanks for your reply.
What do you recommend for developing own GUI library on a specific OS?
Monday, October 18, 2004
A good object-oriented read of GUI programming is any book describing the MVC patterns used in VisualWorks.  There's also many papers written about MV-Presenter patterns as opposed to Controller.  Another succinct language/framework to get ideas from is Seaside.  It's got a great re-usable component architecture going. 

Good luck.
Send private email
Monday, October 18, 2004
As second best (if you can't find your book) try with WINE. Just download it and see how they did it. Or you
can download some Linux gui environments and see what's in.
Looking at something that works is better then somebody's
theory and wish list.
Monday, October 18, 2004
The best book I've seen about how to implement (not design) a UI toolkit is:

Developing User Interfaces, Dan Olsen

Amazon URL:

We used this as a textbook for a one-semester UI class, and it worked pretty well. Reads easily if you have any kind of CS background, covers its topic nicely, and gives you good things to think about.

What it won't do is give you pre-cooked code for java, windows, or anything else. It's definiately about the theory; the implementation is up to you.
Chris Tavares Send private email
Monday, October 25, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics