The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Test management tools

We're a small company that doesn't want to spend a lot of money on some test management tools.  Does anybody have any recommendations for some test management tools.  Basically all we want is the ability to organize our test cases that will be run by our testers.  We'll easily be able to determine tests that have failed, etc.  And if a test fails maybe it would allow submission of a bug report to fogbugz.
Lance Johnson Send private email
Tuesday, July 12, 2005

HS Send private email
Wednesday, July 13, 2005

I looked over that tool and it seems to be a really good product, however that tool seems to assume everything is done in an automated way.  I wish we were at that point, but we're not.  So we have some testers that run through some use cases basically and will then determine if the use case fails/succeeds.
Lance Johnson Send private email
Wednesday, July 13, 2005

In every testing group I've been in since about 1996 or so, we've always just made our own test-tracking software. This is arguably a colossal waste of time, since there are commercial packages out there.

However, being able to specify exactly what an application  should look and act like does have its advantages, and in several cases, I was working for a development tools organization, anyway - so we could spin custom app development as a testing activity anyway.

Just don't over-do it. You need a way to see the overall current status at a glance, and a history of individual test executions, and a way to add & obsolete tests. That should be just about all you need, feature-wise.
Mark Bessey Send private email
Wednesday, July 13, 2005

As a tester I spend a lot of time working with these kinds of tools.

There are a number of test management tools out there. The biggest one is TestDirector by Mercury www.mercury.com . However I am not aware of any tools that I would describe as low-cost. They are all aimed at big organisations with things like "Business Process testing" www.mercury.com or "risk based testing" www.compuware.com.

You can have a trawl through www.qadownloads.com . They seem to have some listings of test management tools, altough I haven't used any of them myself and quite a few of them don't really look very professional.

I haven't found any freeware/open source efforts in this direction.
Florian Heine Send private email
Thursday, July 14, 2005

Yeah, test tools cost lots.  However check out FIT (http://fit.c2.com) for some open source functional testing.
Paul Norrie Send private email
Saturday, July 16, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics