The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Anyone here use QT?

Anyone have any first-hand experience QT they want to share?

I have a couple web apps that I would like to put a different face on and the announcement that Trolltech has released QT4 under the GPL has it in the centre of my radar.
em Send private email
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

QT for a web app?  I thought QT was primarily for interface code, native run, which doesn't strike me as great for a web app.

I don't use it, so maybe I am mistaken.
Aaron F Stanton Send private email
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Well, my app is written in python and has a Web UI right now (Zope). But I am thinking of turning it into a "desktop app".
em Send private email
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Ah...does QT have python bindings?  (I don't know.)  I do know that wxWindows does.
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

It does via PyQT.
em Send private email
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I think Chris in Edmonton has some QT exp.
Far A. Field Send private email
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I use Qt and have for several years.  Your best bet is to probably ask on the mailing lists, though.  But if you have specific questions, I'm happy to answer them here.  I don't have much experience with Qt4 yet, though.

Also, note that the GPL'ed windows version does not work with closed-source compilers.
Chris in Edmonton Send private email
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Qt does have python bindings.  Check:

http://www.riverbankcomputing.co.uk/pyqt/

I've not used Python, though, let alone PyQt.
Chris in Edmonton Send private email
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I haven't personally used it, but I've heard really good things about it.  The only complaint was no GPL version for Windows, which has now changed with version 4.
Jared
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I did a casual evaluation of PyQT and had a heck of a time getting the libraries to compile on OS X. Lots of dependencies, if I recall correctly. Eventually I gave up and continued using wxPython.
Nate Silva Send private email
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Also, it appears that PyQT does not yet support version 4.
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Yes I do use Qt, and I truly love it. But I don't tell anyone, cuz it's a competitive advantage for me. ;)
Simon Perreault Send private email
Wednesday, June 29, 2005

I am Qt user since the past 3 years. And trust me, its awesome. No other API comes close. Not WxWidgets. Not Fox. In fact, I can churn out GUI code with Qt code faster than with VB (I am talking of decently complex GUIs here). And Qt documentation is second to none. The qt-interest mailing list is extremely responsive. I code with C++, so I cannot talk about PyQt.

And Qt4, brings some truly outstanding stuff (check out arthur). The fact that Trolltech has a GPL version on all platforms, to me, talks a lot of their good nature.
IntentionallyLeftBlank
Thursday, June 30, 2005

I second IntentionallyLeftBlank's opinion. I have been using Qt for two years now.

The only problem I've had has been with my own UI plugin, but this was partially due to bad initial design on my part.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Qt to anyone who wants to do either single- or cross-platform UI development. The licence price is small compared to the productivity boost gained by using Qt.
-L Send private email
Thursday, June 30, 2005

I agree. My previous places uses Qt extensively. Powerful, (mostly) friendly and truly cross-platform.
David Clayworth
Thursday, June 30, 2005

I have no experience with QT.. but discovered (by intention) that the Google Earth desktop app is written in QT Enterprise 3.x

http://earth.google.com/

just look at the run-time modules it distributes in its program folder.
Heston
Friday, July 01, 2005

I've been fairly happy with Qt. It has some issues and some uglyness, but then, what framework/toolkit doesn't ? It does let you simply get on with life most of the time, and does a good job of "just working". It's very nice to write GUI code and *know* that it'll work on Mac OS X and X11-based *nix (plus Windows if you're on Qt4 or have a Qt Enterprise license).

I haven't tried Qt4 yet, as the app I mostly contribute to, Scribus, is still firmly in Qt3 land.

What I like most about Qt is that it doesn't lock you in to just Qt. You're quite free to use a pure C++ or C++ and Boost core, then write a Qt GUI for it. You can call native APIs where you need to, but aren't generally forced to write massive chunks of code in native APIs just to do so. It's all very nice.
Craig Ringer Send private email
Tuesday, July 05, 2005

We are company that make commercial products with Cpp/VB. Now we strongly consider QT intead on .NET
rix
Wednesday, July 06, 2005

I have looked into it and wrote a couple demos - it seems to be a great framework, but it's way too expensive...

Sunday, July 10, 2005

For those of you interested in Qt, I host three Qt resources that might be of use:

- The Independent Qt Tutorial, http://www.digitalfanatics.org/projects/qt_tutorial/ , a hands-on tutorial on Qt 3.x.

- The Qt Widget Gallery, http://www.digitalfanatics.org/e8johan/projects/widgets/ , shows most of Qt 3's widgets along with the code used to produce the screen shot. For example, have a look at the QListView class for examples of setting up lists and trees.

- The Qt 4 Resource Center, http://qt4.digitalfanatics.org , a collection of Qt 4 articles.
Johan Thelin Send private email
Thursday, July 14, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics