The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

vi for Microsoft Word

From the following page:

http://dready.org/blog/section/viword/

Quick instructions:

1. Unzip the attached file.

2. Copy the .dot file into:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Replace "Administrator" with your regular Windows account.

3. You will need to install VisualBasic for Applications, if it does not already exist on your system. (This is done from the Control Panel >> Add/Remove Programs, then Change Microsoft Office; hunt for the Visual Basic for Applications item.)

4. Launch Microsoft Word

5. Click Tools >> Templates and Add-ins

6. Click Add

7. Find and select the .dot file you copied in step 2.

8. Click OK

9. Click Tools >> Macros >> Macros

10. Select Emulate

11. Click Run.

12. Enjoy vi mode in Microsoft Word.

If all else fails, read the README.
Dave Jarvis Send private email
Friday, June 24, 2005

Not that I'm not impressed, but is there a vi user would use this rather than downloading vim from http://www.vim.org?  Cool hack, though.
Tim Clemons Send private email
Friday, June 24, 2005

Sometimes companies have a standard internal document format that forces developers to write up their software designs in Microsoft Word. For example, high-level requirements, detailed-design documents, product specifications, etc.

This can leave vi-gurus creating software designs in a writing environment in which their fine fingers refuse to fully function. Or worse, with fingers that completely fail to switch from vi. I've found myself typing ESC-kk once too often when switching between Linux and Word running in VMWare.

I stumbled upon after joking to my co-workers that my fingers didn't like to switch from vi to Word. I quipped, "Wouldn't it be funny if someone wrote a vi interface for Word?" And of course, that's when Google appeared in Mozilla. ;-)
Dave Jarvis Send private email
Friday, June 24, 2005

this is even more evil than vigor
A. Blumenkohl
Saturday, June 25, 2005

Herr Blumenkohl

Why would that be even more evil?
René Nyffenegger
Saturday, June 25, 2005

vi was invented by someone with a grudge against humanity. Combine it with the most bloated, overfeatured application ever written and you get a marriage made in hell.
WoodenTongue Send private email
Monday, July 04, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics