The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Anyone used K2.Net?

My team develops internal business apps and most of them involve humans:  automating a human is not that easy, and we always need to need to have escalations, reminders, e-mail notifications, ... built into our application.  I'm looking for a workflow engine than can take care of all this so that we can focus on the workflow itself and the business logic around it (and the UI).

<a href="">K2.Net</a> seems to be THE product.  But I was wondering if anyone of you ever used/evaluated this nice .Net add-on.

Hugo Frappier Send private email
Thursday, June 23, 2005
Damn... sorry for the bad href link in my previous post.  Here's the link:
Thursday, June 23, 2005
I spent about 5 minutes browsing that site trying to work out what it actually is/does/provides, and i'm still none the wiser. It seemed to be mainly buzzwords and nice diagrams, but they were way too simple to actually mean anything...
Andrew Cherry Send private email
Thursday, June 23, 2005
IME, email reminders, notifications, authentication, etc. are essentially very simple to implement in .NET anyway. I developed a library for each and then I use them in my apps. I don't see the need to learn another framework.
Colm O'Connor Send private email
Thursday, June 23, 2005
K2.Net allows to create workflows using their designer.  It is mainly dropping state boxes, assigning actions to them and rules to the arrows connecting the boxes.  It's nice cause you can easily create workflows that can integrate with your own databases, Active Directory, SharePoint and BizTalk.  They also have a complete object model that can be referenced by any .Net application so you can launch and interact with workflow instances.

I was just wondering if some people here had experience with these tools and anything bad or good to say about it.  It is not a cheap product.
Thursday, June 23, 2005
It definately looks like an interesting concept, but with no download page, and no price list, and the registering for a trial key needs you to already have the installer running on your machine to get their generated computer number - it seems like you have to email them directly for a download even though I could not find anything that said that you had to do this.
SteveM Send private email
Thursday, June 30, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics