The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

MYSQL Project Examples

I am planning to convert an existing 'text files' and file-systems  based project to mysql.

My current work is in Perl, but I am open to other languages such as Ruby.

There could be lots of things that could be done better.

So, I am looking for some existing mysql projects to get some ideas.

Monday, June 20, 2005
Wikipedia is a sizeable MySQL project example.
Monday, June 20, 2005
I really mean, the back-end.. ie.. how data is loaded, updates are performed, indexing, serving etc..
Monday, June 20, 2005
Have a look at which is the codebase for the infamous site.
arethuza Send private email
Monday, June 20, 2005
Don't look at slashcode.
It's hideous.

Tuesday, June 21, 2005
I second that. Slashcode is definitely worst web app code I have seen in years.
Tuesday, June 21, 2005
I would think Wikipedia is a good example to look at.  Wikipedia is an instance of a MediaWiki wiki, which is an open source project you can download here:

Not only that, but you can get a good idea of how MySQL scales with Mediawiki by looking at detailed info regarding the hardware used to run their Wikipedia sites, along with info regarding the amount of traffic served.  These servers serve some sites other than Wikipedia, I think, but Wikipedia is by far the largest:
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Thursday, June 23, 2005
I stand corrected - I knew that Slashcode ran on MySQL and the site has a certain popularity. But I had no idea what the code was actually like.

Having said that, seeing what not to do can sometimes be interesting - consider
arethuza Send private email
Friday, June 24, 2005
Wikipedia is a useful, interesting thing, but the code behind it is well... it's not fast.  Wikipedia depends, really depends, on having the Squid cache beween it and the world, or it'd set those servers alight in minutes.  I'm talking half a second to a second or more to generate a page, on current hardware.

So take it for what it's worth, but don't consider it a complete example.
Paul Kroll Send private email
Saturday, June 25, 2005
There are a huge number of projects that can be looked at to see how to use MySQL.  Probably more than 90% of the many open source blog and CMS software use MySQL.

SugarCRM is a nifty CRM tool that uses MySQL:
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Sunday, June 26, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics