The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

What was Nero developed with?

Graphically, the Nero GUI is stunning compared to most apps. Same goes for the skins on most CD/DVD player software. Does anybody know what is used to develop them? I tried to STFW but came up dry.
John Foxx
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
There are tons of skinning libraries out there.
Pythonic Send private email
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
Ah, that's why STFW didn't work--I didn't know to search for "skinning library." Thanks for the tip.
John Foxx
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
Nero may have pretty icons and widgets, but it is the most annoying, aggrivating program I have ever used and I can only conclude that the programmers who created this mess are totally incompetent and/or insane.

Let's look at some examples:

I start Nero and here is what I get:

Why is everything all smashed to the left side of the screen so that nothing is readable?  What exactly is the purpose of this?  There is no reason why Nero can't determine my screen resolution and spread out the columns across the screen.  Instead,  every time I start Nero, the first thing I have to do is manually drag each and every column to the right, so that it looks the way it should.

Like this:

So then I burn a CD or DVD.  After Nero is finished, I click on "Done" and I am returned to the screen that is shown in the screen-shot above, EXCEPT, Nero mangles the layout, and now the screen looks like this:

AAAARRRRGGGG!! What is wrong with these people?  Once again, everything in the top half of the screen is all smashed over to the left and once again I have to manually drag everything over to the right so that the file names are readable.

And this is repeated, each and every time this program is used.  This has to be the most poorly designed progam I have ever seen.
Sean McHaggis Send private email
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
Clearly you've never used Visual SourceSafe...
Kyralessa Send private email
Wednesday, June 08, 2005
OP is probably talking about another version of Nero that is skinned. I read somewhere about the company which designed the Nero interface, cant remember.
Thursday, June 09, 2005
"This has to be the most poorly designed progam I have ever seen."

Clearly you've never used Microsoft Word.
NetFreak Send private email
Thursday, June 09, 2005
Clearly you've never used Microsoft Bob.
Thursday, June 09, 2005
LOL, that was good
Josh Send private email
Thursday, June 09, 2005
It might look good, but is it easy to use? I really hate the trend towards GUI's that emulate hardware devices. Totally inappropriate solution.

I've used audio apps that copy a physical mixing desk layout and are virtually useless as software solutions. I've had no problems using dials and sliders on a 32 channel hardware mixing desk. (other than only having two hands..). The same solution is a nightmare, particularly when trying to rotate om-screen knobs using a tiny mouse pointer.

The "UI Hall of Shame" had some very good articles ripping into such 'hardware device" interface abominations, but I don't think the whole site is up now.

Beats me why anyone would want to copy the appalling interfaces that videos/DVDs etc have. I guess most of those interfaces are designed to minimise cost, not maximise usability.
Friday, June 10, 2005
The Hall of Shame has changed but you can still see much of it here:
Joe Griffith
Friday, June 10, 2005 got some nice skinning tool they alos licence.
Martin Schultz Send private email
Friday, June 17, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics