The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Real-time website hit monitoring from your desktop

Hello All

I have been a passive reader of these forums for about a year now and have really enjoyed reading about fellow micro-ISV experiences.

Now to the point: I have recently written a small server-client project that allows users monitor webpage hits in real time using a small client that runs on a (Windows) PC desktop.

At this point it is only at the "proof of concept" stage but I would be interested in hearing what people here think of the idea and my initial implementation.

More details, sign up and download are available from

http://www.hitsalive.com

Thanks

Petar
petar Send private email
Friday, June 03, 2005

This much paranoia (worrying about hits real time!) will lead to all sorts of diseases.  :)
dil.b.ert
Friday, June 03, 2005

..or even blind...

We are still looking for test dummies... Oh, and also forgot to mention: It's free...
petar Send private email
Monday, June 06, 2005

My $0.02.

The key is to find someone that needs to either monitor or **react to** real time traffic.

You could perhaps sell it as an API that could be used to make changes to ??? based on current traffic flow.
!(SuperGenius) Send private email
Tuesday, June 07, 2005

The first thing that strikes me is that your server calls back the client. This is possibly a support nightmare with firewalls etc. It would be much easier to leave a TCP connection to your server running.

Second of all how are you going to make money out of it?

Good luck
-Andrew
Team Bob Send private email
Thursday, June 30, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics