The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Forum architecture reuse

I know I am reviving an oft discussed old thread here.

The question is: why can't you find System.Forum.* in Dotnet?

People keep having to rewriting the same components required by most any forums. They need to write the forum themselves because they need it to flow properly for the community they are trying to foster, but someone should say the buck stops here and present a unified foundation class based on MS Exchange or JOS or Arsdigita Community Systems. That way it saves Joel, me, and you a ton of time when we code our own forums. Forums all have the same things: ACL, moderation and filters, rating, classes, messages, and threads, etc etc. What can we do this standard this?
Li-fan Chen Send private email
Monday, September 06, 2004

"ACL, moderation and filters, rating, classes, messages, and threads, etc etc. What can we do this standard this?"

This forum doesn't have ACL, filters, rating, etc.

I mean really there is nothing "special" about forums.  Most of what you describe can be properties of most kinds of web-based applications and perhaps even a few desktop applications.

Probably all the abstraction is already in place and it doesn't take much to put it together into a forum.
Almost Anonymous Send private email
Monday, September 06, 2004

If you think its so easy to do, why don't you write up the framework and spare us from these miserable tasks which we do over and over and over again?
anon-y-mous cow-ard
Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Why does automotive industry keep making different cars??

We should everybody just settle for a standard sedan with a single color available and standard features.

Anyway, we all have exactly the same needs for transportation.
.NET Developer Send private email

> Why does automotive industry keep making different cars??

The key point is, the same CAD programs, the same robots, the same fuel, the same engine blocks.
Li-fan Chen Send private email

I think the answer is that by the time you break it down to reusable components, you get components like
SQL
ASP
VBScript
IIS
etc.

What you're wondering is "why aren't there larger chunks/better abstractions?"

And the answer is somewhere between the law of leaky abstractions and the fact that people can't even agree on whether the "full name" edit box should be the same width as the "message" edit box, so you can't give them an abstraction that's so high they can't adjust these.
Joel Spolsky Send private email
Wednesday, September 08, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics