The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Should I start learning Whidbey

I am very good at technologies especially Microsoft ones. However, I have not started reading or learning anything about Longhorn and Whidbey and Indigo. I think they are still in betas, and its going to take a long while for them to come into production.

What do you guys recommend, should I start working on it now onwards, or just concentrate on .net 1.1
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
Start now. Why? Because everyone has. Software don't unload themselves from someone's brain onto source files in 2 days. They can take years--especially for large projects. With the short lifecycle of languages and frameworks now days, it's not unusual for managers who want to have a complete product done before the cycle is over. No one want to be left with Windows 2000 + IIS 3 + VB6 solutions in 2005, so one wouldn't want to have a Whidbey solution done in 2015. Unfortunately, some software will take 5 years to write, and the time to start learning and engineering them using the new framework is now--for many companies.
Li-fan Send private email
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
My advice is to concentrate on .NET 2.0 and the latest WSE release. This will prepare you for the future and still give you something tangible that you can use near-term.

Personally, I'm a little tired of reading about things that won't be available for years to come. Are you listening MSDN Magazine? Give me something practical. Something I can use today. PLEASE.

Jeff Mastry Send private email
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
If you like to play with stuff that may or may not work, that may or may not change between now and release, go ahead and play with Whidbey. If it were me that was playing with Whidbey, I'd only install it on a machine that can be reformatted at whim, and has nothing I depend upon installed.

My recommendation:
Stick with stuff that works. I tend to find articles in MSDN to help with stuff at the office, but from 1-3 year old issues of the magazine. MSDN gets a quick skim when it arrives, then gets tossed onto the shelf until it is "ripe."
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
I think the adoption rate is around 3 years for a technology like Whidbey and .net 2 to become popular. .NET 1.1 is just starting to become adopted by companies.  It is kind of frustrating that every year they have a new IDE that every one “must learn”, and at the rate in which they keep taking away features from longhorn, these tools might not even be used with it.
N. Send private email
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
You know, a while back it was critical to learn Java because everyone knew it was The Future.

Personally, I'ld say that if you have a basic grounding in C++ or Java and are reasonably smart (i.e. not necessarily a genius) then C# isn't going to be a nightmare to learn, and there's going to be a fair bit of development not using .NET any time soon.

I'm not saying it's bad to learn new things - just that I don't actually believe that waiting until you have a good reason to need the specific knowledge isn't the worst possible idea.

So,learn enough about .NET to evaluate its suitability to an *actual specific project* and if it's the best option then worry about learning the details.

Besides, Longhorn's not going to be released tomorrow, and it's going to take a while for it to displace all the Win98 machines still in use (the buggers just won't die - which is amusing when my mother panics about the latest worm and I can tell her that her machine is immune :), much less the XP and 2000 machines out there - so I wouldn't be planning to develop for it unless the product was a good 3 to 5 years from release anyway, or if there's a genuine reason why it needs to have "requires Longhorn plus a computer capable of running Longhorn" on the minimum erquirements.

Tuesday, May 24, 2005
"No one want to be left with Windows 2000 + IIS 3 + VB6 solutions in 2005"

Why not? First of all Windows 2000 comes with IIS 5. Secondly, nothing is wrong with VB6. I'm not saying that every program should be written in VB6 but certainly it's better than the current "Windows Forms.Net" crap and it's runtime is certainly a lot less bloated than the .Net runtime.
Wayne Send private email
Tuesday, May 24, 2005
Whidbey just released a go-live license with Beta 2, so the API's are pretty cooked at this point.  I'd say its safe to get in the water and start playing around.  Depending on the time frame of your project you might be able start on the beta bits and migrate to the final release.  Obviously shipping on a beta release would not be advisable.
Anonymous Coward
Wednesday, May 25, 2005
I'm going to start studying DotNet and Mono. Somehow I feel motivated to study them.
Wednesday, May 25, 2005
You can get the beta for free at this point, the same goes for the Express products, and Mono will have a very early release with some 2.0 stuff before the end of the year.

It's true that companies start taking these things up as late as possible, but when they do, they won't be asking for programmers who have also just started. Start now, and if you like the platform, you'll have a couple of years experience under your belt when the market really starts to take off.

Can't do any harm. :)
Thom Lawrence Send private email
Sunday, May 29, 2005
I've already started an internal project in .net 2.0 - our software will be ported over by the time of the final launch i'm expecting. For me there are such significant improvements in various areas that I simply couldn't wait to use them.

I was like a kid in a sweet shop when the DVD turned up unexpectedly... :)
Andrew Cherry Send private email
Tuesday, May 31, 2005
Wayne, it's time for you to retire or find a new profession.
VB is a prototype language, and one of the worse Ive ever seen.

That is good enough reason to avoid it like the plague.
Saturday, June 04, 2005
NET, it sounds like you should avoid VB. It doesn't appeal to you. Wayne, it sounds like you're productive with it. Great!

But NET, the indicator of Wayne's effectiveness isn't the tools he uses but how productive he is with them and how satisfied his clients are.

I won't even mention which tools I use (very productively!). They're good old hard-working tools, and although I regularly check out new languages and environments, so far I've stuck with them.

To the OP, Whidbey isn't one of the things I've checked out, but as a general rule I'd suggest that although you might start investigating it, don't assume that because it's being promoted as the next thing that it will be the right next thing for you.
EKB Send private email
Sunday, June 05, 2005
Why buy into the next piece of FUD?

Check out Joel's article on "Fire and Motion."
Monday, June 13, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics