The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Trying to decide if MS Access or Pointbase is better for me

I've bought MS Access and I use it because I like the interface.  I downloaded Pointbase because it comes with J2EE free. 

These are competing for my attention.  Anyone used both and have a preference they'd like to share?

I have more difficulty with MS Access.  Pointbase looks promising.  I would buy DB2, but that requires an iSeries machine, and that's a no go.

Thank you in advance.
Peter Hutchinson Send private email
Monday, May 23, 2005

From a technical perspective, whatever you know better is more suitable for the job.

From a business perspective, it all depends on internal and external requirements ;)
Hakan Send private email
Monday, May 23, 2005

==> I would buy DB2, but that requires an iSeries machine

?<boggle>?

Are you sure?

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/data/db2/windows/

the DB2 "Universal" has been around for years. It's run on Windows for quite some time.

Take a good look at that page -- it's Windows, Windows, Windows -- all Windows, all the time.

Last I looked, Windows ran on a whole-bunch-o-other machines that specifically weren't iSeries machines.

If you like DB2 (I love(d) it -- havent worked with it since '98), then I'd do a bit more research before you immediately dismiss it.
Sgt.Sausage Send private email
Monday, May 23, 2005

Hi Sgt, and Hakan, as soon as I posted I realized my mistake, about needing an iSeries.  Thank you.
Peter Hutchinson Send private email
Monday, May 23, 2005

I don't know if they sell it anymore, but there used to be a DB2 personal edition that retailed for only $39.  I remember seeing it at a Fry's just a couple of years ago.
Cowboy coder
Monday, May 23, 2005

Hi Peter,

What is the intended purpose of the database? Is this for your own use or are you developing a solution?

I have no idea about Pointbase but have done a lot of development with Access and Jet. Could you indicate:
- the maximum and average number of concurrent users,
- the spread of users. LAN, WAN, Stand alone?
- The volume of data expected to be held. Number tables, number of rows.
- What's the nature of the application you're developing?
- Who's the target audience, what kind of application interfaces are they use to?

Cheers,
Marcus from Melbourne
Tuesday, May 24, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics