The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Code generating MVC/Struts app to manage day's work issues

I'm a programmer who has been given time and opportunity at work for coding things of my own choosing. 

I like the idea of automatic code generation based on some one with little training traversing a wizard or series of helpful questions to build a user wished for structure to hold my organized thoughts in HTML pages built from a relational database for the purpose of daily knowledge management.  I care about highly simplified and repeatable views and templates, so that I can share with or train others in what I do on a daily basis. 

So much of what I've learned I've kept with me when I leave a firm because of inadequate time or emphasis on knowledge transfer.  I'm interested in solving that problem with a simple system for growing your own on demand bug tracking, project record keeping, and team snapshots, with accompanying overviews, database instances, activity journaling, passwords, and terminology that one comes across that might be useful should I ever train my replacement or new coworker.

Anyone have experience building this type of simple application, more for the fun and experience than any practical reason?
Peter Hutchinson Send private email
Monday, May 16, 2005

Well, I'm more of a "why spend time on it if someone else has already done it" kind of guy, but I always thought that a wiki and blog conbination would capture a lot of this.  Apparently, OddMuse is a simple to setup wiki with bloglike functionality--I plan to use it.

I know that throwing "wiki" and "blog" in there is too many buzzwords for one post ;) but I rreally think it can be useful.  The idea is to allow some way for people to just spew ideas with a minimum of fuss.  The wiki is for documentation like "this is the way server X is configured.  Here's some issues we've had in the past with it." or "The interface is this way for this reason"...etc.  The blog is for more daily log functionality--not documentation as much as just a record for other people to see what you're working on.  More visibility is often useful.  It also serves as a less formal place to put stuff not in the wiki like "What day did that new server get put online?" or, "Didn't you have this problem before?"

So, it seems to me that a wiki can be good for many kinds of documentation that don't merit a formal document, where a blog is good for day-to-day "what was I doing?" for reference.

But, I could be wrong.  These don't appear to be widely used yet, unless they're all under the radar.
Rich Send private email
Wednesday, May 18, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics