The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

POLL: Your favourite .NET GUI toolkit?

I'm wondering which toolkits, apart from Infragistics, are popular out there. I mean components rather than something like GTK#.

Background: I'm building a developer toolkit (not a GUI toolkit) which should integrate well with the most popular toolkits, so I'm wondering which these are.

Right now, on my list is and Infragistics.

(More background: This is an essential part of the framework I'm working on---however, people may already have invested in GUI components and I want them to be able to leverage their existing investments rather than having to pay more for the framework because I'd need to pay royalties to a component vendor if I decided to use one GUI toolkit directly, so I'm planning to abstract these via a set of interfaces. The default implementation would use Lutz Roeder's CommandBar and Weifen Luo's DockPanelSuite---just as SharpDevelop does. External "bindings" to other toolkits would be optionally possible if the user already possesses a license for that toolkit.)
mokka'logic Send private email
Wednesday, May 11, 2005
To be more precise, I'm talking about the category of GUI toolkit that provides components to accomplish the following:

- menu bars / context menus
- tool bars
- dockable tool windows
- tabbed documents (mdi replacement)

This is the functionality that my framework would require from an implementation based on a 3rd party GUI toolkit. The rest would be ignored (unless otherwise used by the user/developer).
Wednesday, May 11, 2005
--Josh Send private email
Wednesday, May 11, 2005
Jeff Mastry Send private email
Wednesday, May 11, 2005
printf and scanf.
son of parnas
Thursday, May 12, 2005
Son of Parnas, forgot to mention, this thread is about .NET  :)  Also, we're talking GUI, but printf/scanf is only UI at best.

Thanks everyone!
Thursday, May 12, 2005
Add Developer Express ( ) to your list.  I prefer their stuff to Infragistics.
John Rusk Send private email
Saturday, May 14, 2005
I like the DevExpress stuff (although i'm not so keen on how "skinned" and therefore bloated they're beginning to get. Xceed are also quite nice, simple, easy to use etc. Actipro also do a nice line in editors/docking, etc. ComponentOne used to be good, but I couldn't say whether they still are, as I haven't used them for over a year.
Andrew Cherry Send private email
Monday, May 16, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics