The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

FINALLY someone does a good Java gui builder.  Jvider.

Amazing that a (ostensibly) tiny company in Lithuania of all places does something better than Borland, Sun, and the myriad Eclipse projects. 

However, I don't think it reverse engineers, but I don't care about that so it's a non issue. :)
Crimson Send private email
Thursday, May 05, 2005

I didn't download it, but from the screenshots and website I couldn't find any standout features.

Why is it better than borland, eclipse, etc ?
lumberjack Send private email
Thursday, May 05, 2005

lumberjack:

The reason it's better is that they focus on one thing and one thing only - laying out components.  They realize that GUI builder's focusing on all possible things you could possibly think of end up failing the user.  Their design philosophy spells out exactly why jvider succeeds where other Java GUI builders fail.  From the website:
------
"Note, that I intentionally did not include item like "we want to be able to do everything in GUI builder, so that we don't need to go into the code at all." Because, although the wish is understandable, it is not possible. And trying to achieve it many GUI builders fail by becoming slow and complicated and still not being even close to the goal."
--------

And this is why it's so great.

-Crimson
Saturday, May 07, 2005

Interesting, how did you hear about jvider?
lumberjack
Sunday, May 08, 2005

lumberjack:

"Interesting, how did you hear about jvider?"
-------------------
I finally got annoyed screwing around with Eclipse plugins, JBuilder GUI builders, etc and just decided to try a random web search for Java GUI builders and stumbled over jvider.  I wasn't impressed by the pretty pictures either, but once I read their design philosophy, I immediately knew they got it.  Or at least, it SOUNDED like they got it.  I downloaded and tried it, and found out they pretty much did get it.

-Crimson.
Monday, May 09, 2005

lumberjack:

Are you JWZ or do you just have your name URL linked to his site?

-Crimson
Monday, May 09, 2005

JWZ wouldn't be caught dead in a Java discussion thread.

;)

No I'm just interested in the so called "Death of the RAD tools" trend that will soon be followed by the "RAD is in again" trend.

I'm downloading jvider as I type this.
lumberjack Send private email
Monday, May 09, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics