The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Extending Windows Search Window

Hi guys,
I'm currently a student studying CS and as such, I don't get much (okay, any) experience writing Windows programs. But C# is my language of choice, and now I was wondering about how to extend something like Windows Explorer.

More specifically, how does one go about writing an app that simply modifies the Windows Search result pane (search for documents) based on what is searched for?

Does anyone have any beginner links to check out? I'm sure I'll pick it up really fast with a little catalyst.

Thanks!
Ian
Ian Sefferman Send private email
Tuesday, October 05, 2004

These days I'd use Google to search the web for terms such as msdn explorer search extend

I also find it useful to search the microsoft.public and/or microsoft.public.dotnet newsgroups.
Christopher Wells Send private email

Thank you, exactly what I needed. Even in your (what I believe to be) attempt at being sort of rude, you answered my question-- I was searching for things like "programming windows search," which if you check, doesn't return anything interesting.

Search engines aren't very good if you don't know the terms to search for.

Ian

PS - If you weren't trying to be rude, my apologies. I wasn't trying to be either.

> Thank you, exactly what I needed.

I'm glad to hear it; I checked those search terms very briefly before I posted them, and found that it seemed that they could be productive.

> Even in your (what I believe to be) attempt at being sort of rude

I wish that didn't happen. I'm perpetually trying to be mild and factual and even helpful in my replies, and too often it's interpreted as rude. I'm don't know what I'm doing wrong. You'd be doing me a big favour if you could teach me how to avoid that's happening.

> Search engines aren't very good if you don't know the terms to search for.

Agreed. If that happens, sometimes it's useful to use general search terms on a narrower list of sites (e.g. Microsoft's web site, or online help, or newsgroups).

I didn't read your post a rude.

The problem is that with the written language it's extremely difficult to decipher attitude of the person who wrote a piece of text. It's not so much what we say, but how we say something that matters.

I think people read something the way they would expect it to be, ie. the OP assumed that he would get a rude answer and read your answer as rude.

To combat this we have smileys. (Is there a neutral smiley?) I usually litter my posts with happy smileys if I see that there is the slightest chance that anyone could misinterpret a post.

A "Hey mate" or similar at the start of the post also help, I believe. A cool feature for a forum would be light background colors resembling the mood of a post (greenish for friendly, white neutral, etc.)
Peter Monsson Send private email

I hate smileys :)
hoser Send private email

> I wish that didn't happen.

Then it didn't. :) No harm, no foul if it's all good with you. Again, my apologies.

> the OP assumed that he would get a rude answer and read your answer as rude.

This is more than likely the case. Actually, on second thought I'm not sure I was expecting a rude answer, as much as immediately assumed it was a rude answer when I saw "search Google"-- an almost sure-fire sign of someone trying to be rude on most forums.

As an aside (well, really this is on-topic), I found a bunch of info about Bands (for IE, for the start bar, etc) but I can't seem to find anything about the Search Results window in particular. Is there anyone who knows anything about this (or again, good Google searches.).

Thanks!
Ian

I don't know, but perhaps the Windows Explorer, at least in some versions of Windows, uses installable IFilter instances to help it search files: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/indexsrv/html/ixrefint_9sfm.asp

Is that what you meant by "extending the search window": for example, you want to find things in file types that Search doesn't currently index?

Is there something in particular you want to do to the search window?

And "Band" is a subsection of the right section: I'm guessing that almost anything you can do to Explorer, you would do via some kind of quote shell extension unquote.

Shell extensions are your nemesis.
Simon Lucy Send private email
Thursday, October 07, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics