The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Font for windows programming?

After putting up with courier new for ages I stumbled across Profont for windows. Much clearer :)

I am interested to hear what other fonts people use to make coding faster & easier on the eyes. What do you use?

FYI: Profont is at http://www.tobiasjung.net/profont/
Kim
Wednesday, May 04, 2005

There was a good thread on this just a couple of weeks ago in main JoS forum:

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?joel.3.112216.35#discussTopic112229
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Bitstream Vera Sans Mono is nice.
Edward O'Connor Send private email
Wednesday, May 04, 2005

BillT Send private email
Wednesday, May 04, 2005

I tried changing the font in VS 2005 and instead of changing JUST the font, it changed all the style settings.

So now, for example, all my keywords are highlighted in yellow.

Sigh... another VS beta bug.
Mr. Analogy {uISV owner} Send private email
Thursday, May 05, 2005

Ummm.. fixed after restarting the app twice.

(I tried restart of the app before the previous post... honest! But starting vs2003 and then closing it and opening vs2005 seems to have fixed the problem)
Mr. Analogy {uISV owner} Send private email
Thursday, May 05, 2005

Hi Kim,

I actually use Fixedsys. It's heavy set, fairly clean and I find it very easy to read. Like all things of this nature it's a personal choice.
Marcus in Melbourne
Thursday, May 05, 2005

I've never managed to get used to anything but Courier New. It works well for me, everything else makes my eyes go funny. As to programming in a non-fixed width font, I lasted about 2 minutes.
Andrew Cherry Send private email
Thursday, May 05, 2005

I tried profont after hearing it hyped by someone on a forum. It was lousy. All of the letters were completely smeared. I couldn't uninstall it fast enough to keep my eyes from burning.  ;)
matt
Thursday, May 05, 2005

Oh and by the way, profont is a bitmaped font. That's the real reason it looked bad in my opinion. Just my two cents.
matt
Thursday, May 05, 2005

I tried ProFont but didn't like it. I use Lucida Console in Visual Studio and Eclipse.
Jeff Mastry Send private email
Thursday, May 05, 2005

I like profont and sheldon a lot.

Unfortunately, though, they're only available in 8pt and 9pt versions. The laptop I use at work, though, has 1920x1200 screen resolution, and the fonts are too small for me to look at comfortably all day. So I've reverted back to using courier.
BenjiSmith Send private email
Thursday, May 05, 2005

My favourites are Bitsream Vera Sans Mono and Monaco.
bluesky
Friday, May 06, 2005

The Raize font.

Designed for and by programmers.
It is a bitmap font, size 10 and 12.
Frank de Groot Send private email
Monday, May 09, 2005

+1 Bitstream Mono 8pt

Before that got a lot of mileage from MSMAIL3 - a fixed width 9pt font.
trollop
Monday, May 09, 2005

Kartik Agaram
Wednesday, May 11, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics