The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

cache database

Has anybody used the above database?  We've got a sales guy coming in today and I'm trying to research it.
Wednesday, May 04, 2005
Tried the search box here as well as the site: google search and only found a thread where someone was comparing it to another db.

I'll search elsewhere.
Wednesday, May 04, 2005
I'm interested also -- if you find any useful info, it would be appreciated if you post it here.  TIA...
BillT Send private email
Wednesday, May 04, 2005
I assume you mean InterSystems Cache' (that's an accent there, which I can't type on this keyboard). I played with it a little, it's nice. But without reference to task at hand, what other things you are considering - I can't tell you much.

FYI, it evolved from MUMPS / M, a database system and language that at one time dominated healthcare IT data systems, and possibly still does. It's very solid, quite fast, not relational, but that's not a bad thing. Cache' does give it a relational-like frontend, though.
Ori Berger Send private email
Thursday, May 05, 2005
Well, the sales guys came and went.  Our CEO doesn't like it because there's no name recognition, but the technology seems ok.  The database is, in fact, built on top of MUMPS as stated by the previous post.  It allows direct acces via their own driver, or SQL, or "direct object access."  The Direct Object Access is fairly interesting.

Anyway, I received a book from their sales guys today, "Object-Oriented Application Development Using the Cache' Postrelational Database."  350pages, Kirsten, Ihringer, Kuhn, Rohrig (oomlots omitted), published by Springer.
Friday, May 06, 2005
I have the free evaluation copy at home. I went to an introductory seminar on cache' at Sydney, Australia. Most updating of the database occurs at the atomic level. Thus it is able to handle more users than a equlivant SQL Server or Oracle database server.
Steven Clarke Send private email
Tuesday, May 31, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics