The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

CVSDude.org

I do distributed development with a team of developers. None of us are in the same place and we are a small company.

I'm thinking about using CVS Dude (http://www.cvsdude.org) to host our subversion repository. As a result, I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anybody had any bad experiences with CVS Dude?

2) CVS Dude has an option of using Trac (http://www.edgewall.com/trac/) for bug tracking, project management, etc. I have looked at the software and it looks good. For anybody that has had experience with Trac, what did you like or dislike about it?

Thanks for any advice!
Roger Jack Send private email
Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Why not set up your own Linux server in your home, expose only a port for ssh, and run a subversion server of your own?

I do this, and I think it works great.  You can even hand out user accounts to your collaborators and give them some regular user account priveledges.
hoser Send private email
Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Hoser,

That is exactly what we are doing now. My partner is in charge of the server and it is in his office. On occasion, there is a problem with the server or connection.

Some of the development is being done in India. My partner is not keen on the idea of getting up in the middle of the night to resolve server issues so that India can continue working.
Roger Jack Send private email
Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Check out www.textdrive.com - you SVN and bunch of other stuff starting at $12.  I believe you get an extra 100MB and a slew of other stuff.  I'm pretty sure you can setup Trac as well.  The fact that cvsdude.org was returning 5-10+ sec. page views on their site doesn't create a great first impression IMHO.
Anonymous Coward Send private email
Tuesday, May 03, 2005

>getting up in the middle of the night

Hidden cost of outsourcing.

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

No problems with cvsdude here
Bankstrong Send private email
Tuesday, May 03, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics