The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Jscript, moving from client-side to server-side (.NET)

Hey all

I’m working translating a web-app written in client-side Jscript to run on the server-side as JScript.NET. Without needing to get too specific, I am using Jscript because the original page aggregated raw data to produce statistical results (this was done dynamically based on user 'sort-by' options). The final output is an html report that can be emailed.

Because this is currently being done on the client side, as the raw data grows the load-time grows as well (to the point that has almost become unusable). I’m posting here to see if anyone has any experience/feedback porting Jscript to a .NET environment.

Note: all other pages on the site are written in Vbscript; this new page will be our sites first ASP.NET page (we have already resolved the asp/asp.net session state issue).

Would it make more sense to write the module as a web service that can returns the html report? Or should I just generate the report on within the specific aspx page?

Thanks ahead of time!
Pete Send private email
Monday, May 02, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics