The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Web-like interface in Windows app

I'd like to implement a Web-like Windows application, sth along these lines: http://www.aksel.com/whitepapers/uidesign.htm.
Except I'm doing it in .Net (C#). Do you know of any resources which could help me get started?
In particular, how would one handle user input and dynamically generate pages?
Me
Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I was thinking about this recently.  I have an ASP.NET app I'm writing and was wondering whether I could could an IIS emulator instead of creating a separate Winforms front-end.

I believe that HTA's only work for HTML/Javascript files.

As for IIS emulators, there used to be a product called IIS Emulator (available at http://www.iisemulator.com ), but that link's dead now.

Maybe Cassini would work, but I haven't looked into it yet.
Cowboy coder
Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I believe here is some stuff around taht makes Cassini  into an embedded server for running content of CD's at the client.
Just me (Sir to you) Send private email
Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Am I missing something here? Why not just create a windows forms app and embed an IE (web browser) control in the main window?
Lord Byron
Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Also...the apache webserver (or PWS (Personal Web Server), the workstation version of IIS) can easily be installed on a desktop windows machine. Then you can run an ordinary web app in the browser, but point it at localhost instead of at an external domain.

You could also wrap the IE web browser control in your own application, allowing you to hide a few of the details of the app (like the fact that it points at localhost).
Benji Smith Send private email
Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Jeff Mastry Send private email
Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I think the IUI stuff is really what you're looking for.  You get WinForms with modern XP style wizards.  Much easier than hosting ASP.NET runtime on local client.  There are existing Wizard controls out there (check Tim Dawson's WinForms control site) so that should give you an idea on what is needed.
Anonymous Coward
Tuesday, April 26, 2005

I'm confused - if you are writing a Windows app, why would you want to make it act like a Web app? In my experience, web apps are harder to write, harder to use, and less flexible. The only reason my company writes web apps is because they can be used by anyone with an Internet connection, instead of requiring the user to install something.
Josh
Friday, April 29, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics