The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Java and Excel...

We currently use Excel as a quick 'n dirty reporting tool for our Java/Swing app. The Java provides the UI, DB interactions, persistance, etc. Excel files are generated based on user settings, and contain rather large worksheets full of numbers that the user can use to generate charts to their hearts' content.

To a limited extent, JFreeChart is used to display similar charts that are displayed inside the Java app. Works fairly well, but not really flexible. The requirements are changing rather rapidly, and I'm finding myself getting locked into ill-informed design decisions. (This isn't a problem with the development process, just a by-product of the situation).

Is it possible to embed Excel charts/spreadsheets inside of Swing? I have the option of simply creating tables in the DB with the required data, providing stored procedures, or the SQL query strings themselves.

In this particular situation there are a few queries that generate an overall view of the data, along with other more detailed queries that generate much finer-grained results for drilling into the specifics.

Is this something that can be done? Doesn't have to be too perfect -- it's an in-house app with a projected relatively short lifespan.
Nigel Send private email
Saturday, April 23, 2005

It's possible to work with COM / OLE objects in Java see here:

http://users.rcn.com/danadler/javacom/

maybe that helps...
c-choox
Saturday, April 23, 2005

POI http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/ will let you manipulate Excel files from Java. It might let you extract the charts, too. I dunno though as I have only used it for import and export.
craig Send private email
Monday, April 25, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics