The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

PocketPC Synchronization?

We are about to embark on our next project: developing a new-generation handheld component for our desktop app.  We've selected the PocketPC platform.

We use VB as our development environment and SQL Server as the database back end.

The handhelds will all have 802.11g network cards built-in, but sometimes they will be taken out of range of any WAP.  However, they must still function even if not connected, and we want them to automatically resynchronize with the SQL Server database when they come back within range.

What technologies have you used to accomplish this synchronization?

TIA,
Karl Perry Send private email
Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Peter

You can have your Mobile VB application interact with SQL Server CE(when using in disconnected state) and then use Replication to sync the data between main SQL Server and SQL Server CE.
Anon Send private email

I built a system to do this last spring.

It was the single worst job I've ever had.

MDB < - > CDB conversion is just about the dumbest thing that was ever done.  Don't bother using a database, go straight to XML... atleast then you won't have to worry about database conversions.
KC Send private email

KC, I don't know what a CDB file is, but doesn't SQL Server CE (SDF?) have at least some tools to help with this?  Why is XML needed?

Sorry to display my complete ignorance ... I'm trying to learn here.

Thanks,

You aren't suggesting that you are writing your Pocket PC code in eVB, are you?  I would research that a bit more before diving in.  eVB is a bastardization of VB that seems alot more like VBScript most of the time.
BillyBoy
Friday, April 22, 2005

eVB started out *as* VBScript.  Did somebody actually write a different compiler backend?
Eric Brown Send private email
Saturday, April 23, 2005

eVB?  Again I'm showing my ignorance: what's "eVB?"

I start Visual Studio 2003 Enterprise Architect.  I choose File / New / Project, then choose "Visual Basic Projects" as the project type, and "Smart Device Application" as the template.

As far as I know, this is true VB code, deployed using the .Net Compact Framework.

Is there something really wrong with that, other than that it is not native-compiled C++?

... or is eVB something else entirely?
Saturday, April 23, 2005

What you are doing is using VB.NET with Compact Framework. eVB has seperate SDK and editor.
Anon Send private email
Saturday, April 23, 2005

Sorry, eVB is embedded Visual Basic, which is part of the old eMbedded Visual Tools program.  This is back in the time before the .NET Compact Framework came out when you could either use eVB or eVC to program the Pocket PC devices.
BillyBoy
Sunday, April 24, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics