The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

PL/SQL

Can anyone suggest the best PL/SQL book for a beginer in database management systems ? The person has excellent understanding of Object Oriented programmming.
Umman Chandy Send private email
Saturday, April 16, 2005

My understanding is that PL/SQL adds procedural keywords to pure SQL, so you can write WHILE loops, FOR loops, etc. which combine SQL queries with the facility to loop over those queries.

OO orientation will help you not.  Some SQL experience (generating record sets, inner and outer joins, nested queries) will help a lot.
AllanL5
Saturday, April 16, 2005

Have look at the documentation for Postgresql at www.postgresql.org

They have an introductory bit to the syntax of pl/sql. It won't, alas, teach you the tricks, but you'd know the words.

Knowing a procedural language like Pascal is useful when in the pl/sql world.

Postgresql 8 runs native on windows and is free, so it makes a nice cheap way to have something to have a play about with.
Katie Lucas
Saturday, April 16, 2005

I would recommend the O'Reilly book by Steven Feuerstein.
Mike Send private email
Saturday, April 16, 2005

I hate to say this, but "Teach Yourself PL/SQL in 21 days" got me off and running ;)
LC
Saturday, April 16, 2005

The PL/SQL manual that Oracle provides as part of the database documentation is actually quite good and will tell you everything you need to program in PL/SQL.
cbmc64 Send private email
Sunday, April 17, 2005

Get the "Oracle Desk Reference" by Guy Harrison.  It's indispensible.
me
Monday, April 18, 2005

+1 for Feuerstein, and +1 for the Oracle documentation.

Also http://asktom.oracle.com
David Aldridge Send private email
Wednesday, April 20, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics