The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Generating the written word

I'm trying to explore some architectural concepts.  I have a collection of users.  Each user has a collection of facts.    Based on a user's collection of facts, I want to generate a relevant email to them, based on the known facts about them.  For instance, if a user had "weather = raining" and "favorite team = Red Sox", a message might be generated that said:

"Bummer about the rain, but that's great news about the Red Sox winning"

I'd also like the message to be written in a variety of tones.  So, if I chose the message to be written in the tone of a Boston cab driver, it might read:

"Man, it's raining wicked hahd.  Red Sox win, Red Sox win!"

Does anyone know of a system like this?  Are there any best methods to utilize to pull this off?

Eric Marthinsen Send private email
Friday, April 15, 2005
This type of thing is usually done with Prolog (and a lot of manual work).
Kalani Send private email
Friday, April 15, 2005
You know, I read this and the FIRST application I thought of was "This is for padding the headers of spam email with real text to trick people into reading it"...

I don't know whether this is a reflection on the state of the world, or just my consideration of it. But my basic assumption these days is that everything is at least partially some sort of scam.
Katie Lucas
Saturday, April 16, 2005 <-- news recently.

Basically, a good old "fog generator".

But for your meaningful messages, you have to add some more info e.g. "rain = bad" and "red sox = sports, have they won recently?".

You need to categorise everything.  How does the computer deduce that rain is bad?  What if the person is a keen gardener, or there has been a recent drought..?
i like i
Monday, April 18, 2005

same here.
Monday, April 18, 2005
Take a look at the automatic complaint letter generator (google it). I haven't looked at it in years, but it used to do a pretty good job of varying phrases. I don't believe the soruce is public, but you can get some idea of how it's structured from the various bit s and pieces of information on the website.
A. Gorilla
Tuesday, April 19, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics