The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

disabling buttons on web form

I'm hoping someone here can answer a question for me. I've searched all over and can't seem to find any info.

I am redesigning the web ui for our admin pages and I want to know what is the best practice for disabling form buttons. Should I use javascript to disable button but still have it visible? Or is it best to only show buttons that will be used.

Depending on what is being done on an admin page, there may be no buttons or up to 4 to perform various actions.
Allen Send private email
Thursday, April 14, 2005

If user can never use the button (because they don't have permission) don't show it.  If they can use the button but in the current state it's not valid, show it but have it disabled.
Almost Anonymous Send private email
Thursday, April 14, 2005

thanks for the info. that's kind of the way I was leaning.
Allen
Thursday, April 14, 2005

And remember. Never trust your remote browser! Validate every input, authorize every action if the logged user has appropriate permissions to do it.

Just the button hiding is not sufficient, because the http request faking is so easy...
Big Brother
Thursday, April 14, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics