The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

HART Procotol

Has anybody experience with this? I might need to develop a VB app that talks to some obscure machine using the HART protocol. Any links to description, specifications, ... ?

The prices on are a little high for an evaluation.
Hart To Hart
Thursday, April 14, 2005
I dono.  I don't (heart) proprietary protocols though. :P
Flamebait Sr.
Thursday, April 14, 2005
Been there, done that. I felt a bit ripped off by the HART association classes and standards.
Basically you pay to learn how to extend a Rosemount 275 Hart communicator. (It has been 5 or more years, I don't think the company is Rosemount any more. Take this with a grain of salt, time has passed, things may have changed much over the years.)
There is a company called .... Thinking... SMAR.
They do HART modems that connect to the PC. There are some other companies that do similar things.
Look for HART modems. Some of the suppliers had libraries that would do HART from the PC, you may be able to buy rather than build.
If that is the objective, HART from the PC, the Association is not the way to go. They were a shell for Rosemount to push their propietary protocol. They do not understand anything outside of the DDL. The tools, unless they have become much, much better, are horrible. The tokenizer was just something built with yacc.
Give some more details and I will try to help if I can.
What is the device?
Is the goal a communicator, or a PC application?
Doug Withau
Friday, April 15, 2005

thanks for your insight. I got the same expression from the HART website.

The platform is a PC connected via modem to a transducer. I might advise the client to use an existing solution instead of rolling their own. Looks like it would need to take a lot of (likely unbillable) time and effort on my side to just get started.
Hart To Hart
Sunday, April 17, 2005
If I still had the Specs, I would send them to you.
It sounds like all you need it the message structure. It is not that complex. I think is is HCF-SPEC12.
If you are not doing the low level transducer message passing, or the physical modem (dont' even ask), it is not that hard.
If your client has the specs for the messages, you should be good to go.
Doug Withau
Sunday, April 17, 2005
Ok, I will check this out. Your help is highly appreciated. Thanks.
Hart To Hart
Wednesday, April 20, 2005
Hart protocol is used to connect " Hart transducers" to PLC or DCS systems. The high frequency sine wave (1200 baud) is superimposed on 4-20 ma analog signal. It is used in process control systems to define the communications protocol between intelligent field devices and a control system.
Sumukh Send private email
Wednesday, May 11, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics