The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Best default view of calendars? Week? Today? or Month?

I am curious, has anyone done research on what's the most correct default view* of a calendar? If you look in a Franklin it has all 3. So I can't decide. What does the mass majority of people in the world get the most mileage out of when they look on a wall, white-board, or Outlook?

This is for everyday life. Be it home maker, paper-pushers or even the starving student.

My personal favorite is weekly but it doesn't matter what I think :-)

* I am restricting it to the following views for this topic:
1. today view, with hours as rows or columns
2. week view, all 7 days as rows or columns (include today)
3. month view, all 28-31 days as rows or columns (include today)
Li-fan Chen Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
In Outlook I just use month view because I can see everything I want to on the screen at once.

On my phone I use a combination of weekly and daily.
Colm O'Connor Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
I always use the monthly view as default.  When I want detail, I'll bring up the daily view.

Just my 0.02.
KC Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
Li-Fan -

Obviously, you can learn from what the user selected last time.  However, I think another way is to look at the number of events on the calendar: if the user has 10 events per day, a daily/weekly view is probably more useful than a monthly view.

Bankstrong Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
Let the user choose, for heaven's sake. There is no universal answer. And the best month view is a week in a row, not a _day_ in a row or column.
Daniel Daranas
Monday, April 11, 2005
After working on several calendar projects, I've found that everyone has a unique concept of what "any decent calendar includes." The concepts of any two people always seem to conflict with each other.

So, to answer the question, "Month" is probably safe for an initial default, but make it as easy as possible to change this.
Joseph LeBlanc Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
I remember seeing some add-in to Outlook that would show you the monthly view, but when you clicked on a day, it would expand (squashing the days around it) so you could see the details.  Does anybody remember what this was, and where it came from?
Kyralessa Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
Kyralessa, you're thinking about Datelens :

It's a free addon, requires the .NET framework.
Alex Drahon Send private email
Wednesday, April 13, 2005
Just a note - if there were a 'best' way of displaying calendars, Outlook wouldn't give you the option of displaying it in several different ways.
Colm O'Connor Send private email
Friday, April 15, 2005
Okay, how about if I frame the question in another way? If you went to one of those gift-making services that stamps your company logo on things like pens, fridge stickers, and--duh--those laminated calendars you can use with a dry pen. Which is the most convenient view of calendar? The whole month again? I've always thought those boxes are too small too inconvenient to note anything useful--for small 8" x 6" calendars.
Li-fan Chen Send private email
Tuesday, April 19, 2005
I'd have a calendar on a scroll, with a week per row, and the names of the months put roughly beside the right days, but without breaking the days apart, I'd then show about 6/7 weeks around the current date as the start point.

I hate flipping between 2 monthly views trying to work out start and end dates of multi day events.

Then I should be able to zoom in to a forntightly view, a weekly view and N day view (1, 2 days, or actualy make it customizable!)
gorf Send private email
Tuesday, May 03, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics