The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Feature Request

The one feature request I would like to see on every software program that comes out is the ability to hit the ESC button when the program is starting up and have the program cancel immediately AND instantaneously.
Monday, April 11, 2005
Dont hold your breath.
Craig Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005

Yeah, it would make sense that programs would consistently ask a Yes/No question whenever doubt arises. No one will argue with you that there are places where such requirements are completely ignored (whether good taste, common-sense or UI guideline dictates it or not).... I hope the intended audience of this plea are taking note.
Li-fan Chen Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
What happens when someone accidentally hits the ESC and doesn't understand why the program aborted?
Aaron F Stanton Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
"What happens when someone accidentally hits the ESC and doesn't understand why the program aborted?"

Life goes on?

Fscking Adobe products are the worst with this -- Photoshop, and even Reader, take bloody forever to load, slow everything else down while they're doing it, and accidentally load all the time (when I click on a link without knowing it's a PDF, or forget that filetype X is associated with Photoshop when I double-click it). Grr.
E. Naeher Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
The Adobe Reader will start much faster, if you remove all of the plugins from the plugins directory.
Jan Slater Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
Are you ready to handle 'ESC' throughout ALL your code? All for/next, do/while, threads?

I don't think so...
Anon II
Monday, April 11, 2005
You do know that if you hold down "SHIFT" when opening acrobat, none of the plugins will load?!?!?  No need to delete all the plugins.  Just hold down "SHIFT" when you are in a hurry.
Jared M.
Monday, April 11, 2005
Well let me ask you guys this, if Microsoft and Apple made it easy for people to build major softwares that boots up instantly, would they use the facility? With services and daemons you CAN. It's a question of when the programmers will use the facility.

Photoshop and Acrobat could be designed to run memory resident and only come to the foreground when a file opens, a handful of software on Windows does this now. Yes, you are using up the precious memory--a big taboo--but for professionals who live and breath Acrobat and Photoshop this is a non-issue. An option item in Preferences should be able to toggle between two operating mode.
Li-fan Chen Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
Pressing ESC to kill a starting app sounds like a good feature.

Ideally, it would be built into the OS.  Developers would just have to learn that their app could be killed at any time during startup so they shouldn't do anything nasty during that time.  Developers would also probably need an API to call that would say: "The app is all started now so don't kill me if somebody pressed ESC!"

Also, the OS would have to decide which app to kill.  The new app may not have a window (yet) so it may not be focused.  Probably killing all apps starting up would be the best thing to do.

As a user, I'd use this feature.  Occasionally, I click the wrong icon or accidentally try to load a monstrous BMP in MS Paint without thinking.  In those cases, I'd like to be able to yell: "STOP!"
Daniel Howard Send private email
Monday, April 11, 2005
If I remember correctly, Mac OS used to have this exact feature. I think it's gone now, though.
Monday, April 11, 2005
In Linux, it's just a matter of ps and kill:
kill `ps -ho pid,cmd --sort start |tail -5|head -1`
(It drops an error after killing the process telling the name of it.)
Bind it to a key - tail -5 might need some adjustment since the program starting this line is also a process.
Waiting for Windows version.
lorro Send private email
Saturday, April 16, 2005
Why tag this to ESC when there is perfectly good and sadly underused CTRL+BREAK?

Monday, April 18, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics