The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Recommendation - Class Diagraming Software

I'm looking for software to diagram a .NET (VS 2003) object model.  Something informative, but not cluttered, with the ability to refresh the diagram after code changes.

I looked at creating a UML static structure class diagram in Visio, but it looked like a one-time-only reverese engineering (no refresh).

What does everyone here use?

Thanks, Joe
Joe Paradise
Thursday, September 30, 2004

Enterprise Architect from sparxsystems *seems* to support code - model synchronization. I also looks more pleasing to use than Visio.

"MDG Link for Visual Studio.NET is a new plug-in from Sparx Systems, which creates a close coupling between EA and Visual Studio.NET. It is now possible to generate and reverse engineer .NET classes and see the results within VS.NET immediately. The MDG Link takes over the standard generate, reverse and view functions within EA, these functions become more tightly coupled with VS.NET making it possible to build, reverse and explore your .NET code with increased simplicity and power."

http://www.sparxsystems.com.au

And unlike Visio, it Supports UML 2.0.

But I haven't used it.

Of course I am not affiliated with them in any way etc, etc.
.NET Developer Send private email

An another recomendation from personal experience: stay away from Rational Rose if you can, unless you need integration with other Rational products. It's just overkill and difficult to use.
.NET Developer Send private email

Enterprise Architect.

I know, I resell it. It the best I've used for practical purposes. I was a heavy user before becoming a reseller.
RedFox

Borland's Together .NET edition is what we use where I work, and I find it to fit exactly your requiremenets. There is a demo version available.
G. Gozadinos
Friday, October 01, 2004

.NET Dev and RedFox -
Thanks for the link to Enterprise Architect.  Downloaded the demo and will check it out.

G. Gozadinos -
Do you know if Borland’s Together supports VB.NET?  Looking at their datasheet I only saw references to C#.
Joe Paradise
Friday, October 01, 2004

I'm not saying there's not a place for what you're asking for, but my advice would be to reconsider whether what you're asking for will provide the value you're looking for: http://www.agilemodeling.com/
Jason Pettys Send private email
Friday, October 01, 2004

Jason -
Interesting link.  Made me step back and consider my needs.

I am developing a .NET library containing several classes and interfaces.  I need a way to:
- Summarize the name, properties, and methods of each library member
- Show inheritance and containment relationships between members
- Easily update this summary as development progresses

While developing the database this library will read, I used Visio to create a similar diagram of the schema.  This particular Visio template had a feature to “refresh the model”, making maintaining the diagram trivial.  What I’d like is something similar to handle the code structure. 

The original post mentioned UML, but I don’t care about formal methodologies at all.  As long as the summary adds value, it doesn’t matter what format it is in.

Haven’t had a chance yet to look at the above recommended software; hopefully one will be up to the task.
Joe Paradise
Friday, October 01, 2004

UML doesn't have to be a methodology - at it's minimum it can just be a quickly sketched diagram that other people will understand. You don't have to go down the whole Rational Unified Process avenue (thank God!).

And i'll add another recommendation for Sparx Enterprise Architect - it's reasonably priced, quick and easy to use. I'm another happy customer.
Andrew Cherry Send private email
Saturday, October 02, 2004

I tried Borland's Together for two weeks because it was the only non-Rational tool that could reverse-engineer sequence diagrams. Unformtunately my evaluation amounted to several bug reports posted on the borland.public.together.edition.msvisualstudio web site. I wasn't evaluating it for class diagrams.

Other C#/UML tools that I evaluated after finding them on the web were from Microgold, Sparx, Metamill, and Visual UML.
Christopher Wells Send private email
Sunday, October 03, 2004

I got a chance to look at Sparx Enterprise Architect yesterday.  Very nice.  Thanks to all for your feedback.
Joe Paradise
Tuesday, October 05, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics