The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Trolltech Qt Designer

I'm evaluating Qt Designer.  It seems cool so far.  I'm looking for opinions and experiences from other users.  Thanks!
Far A. Field Send private email
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
It has an annoying tendency not to load the plugin's if everything's not ABSOLUTELY correct -- unresolved symbols which are never used, cause it to bail, for example, when a link against the libraries will be just peachy.

On Linux it often needs starting twice because the first time through it will crash trying to open the "open file" window.

Closing it by "killing" the window doesn't count as quitting and won't save the "recently opened" list.

It feels AMAZINGLY cramped unless you have a vast monitor.

It doesn't really crash while actually being used, except for a glitch with radio button descended classes. {I can't recall the details}

Trolltech's support is fast and competent. They seem to know what they're doing.

Overall; it doesn't seem as smooth as Borland's Kylix (you can't (as far as I can tell) build in your own property editors). It's not as snappy as .NET's ui designer on lower end machines.

It really is crossplatform and it does work - you can just pick up the code and rebuild it and it works.
Katie Lucas
Wednesday, April 06, 2005
Thanks for the feedback. I talked to someone today who also had difficulty with it, but it was in a situation involving Ruby with C++, so it's not clear where the problem was.
Far A. Field Send private email
Wednesday, April 06, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics