The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Free icons for web application and client/server?

Where can I find free consistent icons for application use? Icons such as trash for delete, addnew icon, report, search; icons for typical application. thanks.
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
Try these icons... I have used them in some projects and they are quite nice...
TownDrunk Send private email
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
I don't know where you can get a collection of free icons that you will really be happy with, but i have found a few sites that sell icon collections for a  reasonable price ($200-500). Here are a few below:

Hope that helps. Also, if anyone knows of similar sites to the ones above, please post them.

Pete Send private email
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
+1 for Icon Experience.

Tuesday, April 05, 2005
I just looked at the icons that come with VS 2003, and man they suck - same thing as there ever was.  Ugh.  So 1995.

Why doesn't MS spend a little effort on a new icon set?  I mean...they want people to use a standardized look-and-feel, don't they?

I'm not asking for free stuff (tho I don't object to free), I just want what comes with the latest tools to not look like crap.
Aaron F Stanton Send private email
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
VS 2005 is supposed to have a new icon set. I haven't looked at it yet to really see if it is any better.
Tuesday, April 05, 2005
There are quite a few impressive looking open-source icons and sets that have their origin for KDE or Gnome on Linux.  Usually, though, they're pretty distinctive and might look a little odd juxtaposed with your normal Windows icons.  But definitely worth a look. Try here:
Herbert Sitz Send private email
Wednesday, April 06, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics