The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Utility to fill random data to a SQL table

I have a bunch of SQL server tables and want to fill them with some random data -- for e.g. book name, book publisher, publishers address etc.. lets not worry about correctness of data. Just for test purposes.

Anyone know any aut-generation utilities? or is Perl my saviour?

Thursday, March 31, 2005
Yup, I've generated random strings of data by first generating a random number for the length of the string, then generating MORE random numbers for the characters (0..256) and then throwing out the non-character data.

Are you sure you want to do that?  It might be more helpful to take 100 names out of the phone book, select among those, and add numbers after them.  Thus, I could be AllanL5, there could be an AllanL4 and an AllanL6.
Friday, April 01, 2005
Perl is your saviour, of course, but very often it makes more sense to google for a test data source rather than write a script to generate it. People names, book names, geographical data - it all can be found "en masse" easily.
Saturday, April 02, 2005
Sybase PowerDesigner does this
Dr. Mario Send private email
Monday, April 04, 2005
umm...the problem is a little more than filling 1 table. What if I had 10 tables? each with different columns..

this begs for a utility, which I think I'll write and maybe it'll help others too..

Monday, April 04, 2005
We're developing an utility for this task, of course it do a lot more than what you asked for.

It'll be released soon. We're re-design our website, but if you interest in this utility, check our website for updated information
Tien Do Send private email
Tuesday, April 05, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics