The Design of Software (CLOSED)

A public forum for discussing the design of software, from the user interface to the code architecture. Now closed.

The "Design of Software" discussion group has been merged with the main Joel on Software discussion group.

The archives will remain online indefinitely.

Why does MS Word (2000) still have a document destroying bug?

It boggles my mind that Microsoft has allowed a bug which can cause the loss of major edits, to the total loss of a new document, to remain in Word for nearly a decade.

Ten minutes ago I was bit by most significant bug I know in Word -- one that I've experienced since at least Word '97. Every once in a while, at a save command, Word will declare that there is insufficient space to save the document and would I like to try a different filename or different drive? Any edits since the last save are doomed. It is impossible at this point to save the document, regardless of filename or drive choice.

The only hope is to copy the entire document, close Word (losing all changes), re-open the document, paste over all changes copied, and re-save.

I've never figured out the exact cause of thie behavior, but it seems related to the use of embedded objects, like equations and graphics. Sometimes, it will happen after inserting or editing tens of objects; this time I had five equations. And without thinking, I hit the wrong button on the "do you want to keep the large clipboard in memory" query when I exited Word, and I had to re-create all my edits.

How has this escaped correction? Has it been fixed in Word '03?
DaveF
Thursday, March 31, 2005

Why have we kept using the product despite the document destroying bug?
Daniel Daranas
Thursday, March 31, 2005

I had a similar problem, and this is how I solved it once and for all.

The correct process should have been:

Copy the entire document, close Word (losing all changes), start OpenOffice, paste all changes copied, and save.

Then I uninstalled Word and never had the problem again.

:)
Kelly
Thursday, March 31, 2005

moron
Thursday, March 31, 2005

Interesting link. Thanks, moron.
Daniel Daranas
Thursday, March 31, 2005

Thanks.

In my youth, I mistook MS Word for a stable desktop publishing program. What was I thinking?
moron
Thursday, March 31, 2005

The Master Document doesn't bother me becuase I was warned away -- it will destroy not just a document but an entire book.

Likewise, Fast Save was known to corrupt documents so I haven't used that in about 10 years.

But this fail-to-save bug cannot be avoided. It's not a feature to be avoided or an option to be turned off. It just appears once a year to destroy whatever I'm working on.

Why do we continue to use Word? (sigh) Because everyone else does...

Perhaps Joel can explain why Microsoft produces programs with "features" that don't just work incorrectly, but will destroy the user's work.
DaveF
Thursday, March 31, 2005

Maybe the solution to your problem is an upgrade. Everything may not appear as it seems to be...

Anon
Anon
Thursday, March 31, 2005

Daniel, that was the best line I've read in a thread in a long time.
Kyralessa Send private email
Thursday, March 31, 2005

"Why have we kept using the product despite the document destroying bug?" or "Interesting link. Thanks, moron"?

In any case, thanks <g>
Daniel Daranas
Friday, April 01, 2005

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics