* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Budgeting Software

As a micro-ISV I'm having trouble keeping track of my finances for personal and business related things.

Basically I seem to get a lot of bills at once, struggle to pay them, rinse repeat.

Is there any software that can help with the budgeting?
Budget Challenged
Monday, September 27, 2004

.. also any general tips of budgeting for small ISVs would be appreciated.
Budget Challenged Send private email

Please take this as a positive comment, I'm not criticizing you. But keeping the kind of simple accounts you describe doesn't require a lot of software, you just have to do it.

Schedule a time (first thing in the morning, 10:00, whatever) and do it. It's drudgery, which is why you're avoiding it today, but it has to be done.
Tom H

Maybe it is not as simple as that...
With the myriad of tax laws and all that, I find it extremely difficult to maintain my finances.
I employ  a Finance guy part time who helps me in keeping the books clean(with a little bit of cooking)

Am speaking from an Indian Perspective._:)
Mr Own Company Send private email

I use Quicken XG to organize my finances.  You simply setup two different accounts:  Personal and Business

Then funnel your paperwork into their correct digital stream.

I would have started with QuickBooks, but it was too expensive for my little micro-ISV and a bit of overkill.  When the big money comes in, then I'll get a finance guy to make the conversion to QuickBooks and go from there.
sedwo Send private email

I use Quickbooks, I just did the Company financials for last year, and the VAT for this quarter.

And I hate it!

I should just take the plunge and eat dogfood.
Simon Lucy Send private email

We finished up with Microsoft Money. Except taxes and salaries, which are still done at Excel, it has all what we need. Especially useful is "Cash Flow Forecast" feature, allowing to see how much money you'll have at each point of time. Never succeeded to use  its "budget" function though.
Michael Dvoishes Send private email
Sunday, October 10, 2004

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics