* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Dropped installs

Hi everyone,

I've noticed recently that there is a very huge difference between trial downloads and installs. Have double checked the download/install process on each Windows version from XP to 10 and with each of the browsers but in vain.

If anyone has 2 spare minutes, please check my download page at:
http://bit.ly/1XshS2H
Peter Kalev Send private email
Tuesday, April 12, 2016

I had no problems downloading and installing the .NET package from your link.

However, I found this line in your INSTALL.htm:
<!--iframe src="https://www.didisoft.com/INSTALL_track.html" width="1" height="1"></iframe-->

as a comment. Just to let you know if this is how you track the installation.

Regards
Clemens
xmlbuddy Send private email
Tuesday, April 12, 2016

I started with this, but commented it as non accurate (some people don't like to read the Install.html).

At the end of the Installation wizard I make a POST to the Google Analytics Measurement protocol like this:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/30703482/calculate-installation-count-with-inno-setup/36496834#36496834
Peter Kalev Send private email
Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Ah, this is a nice way to track the installation count. I will add this to my installer too.

I gave your stackoverflow post a +1 ;)
xmlbuddy Send private email
Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Wow, an install counter for Innosetup, pretty much the most useful post of the year in this forum, thanks.
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, April 12, 2016

But the real question is: what can you do to make people actually install what they download?
Zka Send private email
Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Check your server logs.
You may be surprised to find loads of bots downloading your installer mindlessly over and over...
Calvert Send private email
Tuesday, April 12, 2016

i have been trying to solve this problem for years

Spend a day in software customer support
And you might be shocked at just how many people
Dont comprehend what is the difference between
A file being on your website, on their computer,
And an installer in their downloads folder, or
installed in their Machine.

And these people are not idiots. 
Many smart people dont grasp these concepts
C. Stark Send private email
Thursday, April 14, 2016

+Calvert

For years we've seen occasional spikes of 1000 downloads per day of our software, usually from China.  It lasts about 2-3 days and then goes away.  Then a week or two later it starts with a different product.

My theory is our software gets posted to a blog, and everyone runs out and downloads it.  But they never install because that isn't their point -- they just want a large software repository.

That sounds really weird to me, but I have a buddy here in the US that did that when he was younger.  Many GB's of downloads that he never planned on installing.  I think it just makes them feel good that they have so much value filling their hard drives... ?
Doug Send private email
Friday, April 15, 2016

>You may be surprised to find loads of bots downloading your installer mindlessly over and over...

I had an IP in China downloading PerfectTablePlan every hour on the hour. I wonder if they are trying to mask some other kind of nefarious activity?
Andy Brice Send private email
Wednesday, April 20, 2016

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics