* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Is it worth advertising on download.com?

I used to advertise on download.com all the time, but I stopped a year ago. The system they had then was Pay Per Download. At least you are guaranteed a download for your money, whereas with other advertising methods from search engines you are only guaranteed an advert click. Plus the price per download is much cheaper than a search engine advert click.

Anyway it seems they have stopped Per Per Download and have started another method, which seems to be an advert for your software comes up when a human views another software product on download.com.

I'm starting to experiment with this other method of advertising. But the web interface to this seems a little annoying and the statistics I get back don't quite make sense to me. For example the dashboard says my budget for 4/4/2016 is exhausted, yet my adverts are still showing and today is 4/4/2016! Perhaps they mean the budget ending at 12:00am 4/4/2016 is exhausted. Anyway this puts me off.

So is anyone else using it?
NewToASPX Send private email
Monday, April 04, 2016

I used to use their PPD program.  The program the person downloaded was my own downloader, so it would then turn around and download the latest of my software from my website.  I discovered that the vast majority of downloads came from 3rd-world countries who never purchase my software.  So I was basically paying for useless downloads.

BrotherSoft had the same source of downloads at the time.

After that, I don't advertise or pay anything to Download.com

If you advertise on Google, you should also check where your ads are being clicked on.  Many years ago I found, again, that most of my clicks were from 3rd-world countries.  Happily, on Google you can restrict which countries your ads are shown in.
Doug Send private email
Monday, April 04, 2016

Thanks Doug for your reply. You have helped me make up my mind where I will actually spend my advertising budget.
NewToASPX Send private email
Monday, April 04, 2016

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics