* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Holiday promotion ideas

With Easter just over a week away, do any of you have any ideas for holiday promotions to boost sales?

My plan is to release an update to my $19 app this weekend, which is exactly 7 days before Easter.  Whenever I post such updates to MajorGeeks and Softpedia, I get a lot of hits but only about 4 or 5 sales in the following few weeks.  But, I'm thinking this time, I put something on my Order page that says anyone who buys the $19 app before Easter will get a free license to my other $9 app as a special.

I think it may be an interesting test to see what happens?  Have you guys done this sort of thing before?  I figure I've got nothing to lose, and it may appeal to those who want to grab the other app while it's "free".
PSB136 Send private email
Thursday, March 17, 2016

No replies after a day?  :(  Oh well, I've put up the offer on my website anyway, so I'll let you know how it went after Easter.
Friday, March 18, 2016

Is the 2nd app relevant to buyers of the 1st app?

APC
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Saturday, March 19, 2016

They're both system utilities, but that's it. The apps don't co-relate, no. It's just a test I'm doing anyway, to see what happens.
Saturday, March 19, 2016

Easter's over and there was zero effect on sales.  Oh well.
Sunday, March 27, 2016

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics