* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Do domain names help with SEO?

I was wondering if it's worth buying domain names that describe functions of my app, for SEO purposes?  For example, let's say my app has a feature that tells you the time in England; does buying a domain name like "WhatsTheTimeInEngland.com", which redirects to my real domain, help in directing traffic to my real domain?
PSB136 Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2016
I think that Google is so good these days that if your content is related to the search term, it'll rank you highly anyway.

Problem with domains as you suggest is that they'll have no page rank (meaningful incoming links), so Google won't show them.
Scorpio Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2016
I would say no. In fact I think you can probably toss out everything you've read about SEO in the last few years and just focus on improving your product.

First it was key words, then meta tags, then back links, then content, then social, page rank, responsive web design etc etc ...blah blah blah....next it will be whatever someone wants to sell you.

Google constantly changes the game and you'll be contantly chasing your tail. Just yesterday I read that Google is dropping their page rank gadget from their toolbar. Is that saying anything about page rank?
Patrick Hughes Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2016
Yes, it's saying it's still relevant, so they don't want you know what it is for any particular page...

But yeah, domain names no longer have any clout for SEO, especially if it's doing nothing but a re-direct, with no site behind it or anything.

For a long time salescopywriter.net ranked high and got me plenty of traffic, despite it not being a popular search term (most people just type "copywriter")

My next site became, and still is, copywriter-ac.com. That also worked, for awhile, but not today.

So... my next one.. :)  is my name, alanpcarr.com - which I haven't even come close to building as I've been too busy. I resisted using my own name for a long time, partly as the domain was taken, partly because there's a famous UK comedian called Alan Carr.

I'm Alan P. Carr. The P is important :)

(I guess I should change that to APC)
Reluctantlyregistered Send private email
Friday, March 11, 2016
Thanks for the interesting replies.  I'll save my money, then.
PSB136 Send private email
Saturday, March 12, 2016
Organic links are still important, and I think will remain so for as long as search engines are able to distinguish them from link spam and the like.
Dmitry Leskov Send private email
Saturday, March 12, 2016

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics