* The Business of Software

A former community discussing the business of software, from the smallest shareware operation to Microsoft. A part of Joel on Software.

We're closed, folks!

Links:

» Business of Software FAQ
» The Business of Software Conference (held every fall, usually in Boston)
» Forum guidelines (Please read before posting!)

Moderators:

Andy Brice
Successful Software

Doug Nebeker ("Doug")

Jonathan Matthews
Creator of DeepTrawl, CloudTrawl, and LeapDoc

Nicholas Hebb
BreezeTree Software

Bob Walsh
host, Startup Success Podcast author of The Web Startup Success Guide and Micro-ISV: From Vision To Reality

Patrick McKenzie
Bingo Card Creator

Update and now my site being attacked?

Recently I updated one of my apps on MajorGeeks, which then gets picked up by other sites who post news about it.

One of the people on one of the sites is telling everyone NOT to download my app because it's "snake oil".  I then noticed today that my web visits have dropped dramatically since the update, and when I try to view the site, I often get a connection error.

Take a look:

https://i.imgur.com/zRx3VIy.png

Do you think my site is being attacked by that user?  I find it a strange coincidence that the number of visits has dropped since the last update, and the connection error.  :(
PSB136 Send private email
Sunday, February 07, 2016

Before jumping to conclusions, check with your hosting provider. If your site is bouncing, this could have a direct impact on your search position. I.E. if Google can't reach you site when it comes a crawling, then your search rank will drop. Also,  if your visitors can't reach the site the same as you, then you will get less hits on your landing page.

Also your hosting provider may be able to identify a DDOS attack if it is actually happening (however unlikely).
Andrew Gibson Send private email

I don't think your site is being attacked.

One swallow does not make a summer.

You just made a major update; it's far more likely that you have less visitors because the new version is less well known. The connection error is a random coincidence.
koan Send private email

You are attacked under "Content Hack Issue". Please integrate webmaster tools to your site. After that you easily overcome from this problem.
Ellie Wilkinson Send private email
Monday, February 08, 2016

I've got Google webmaster tools installed already.  What should I do?

Just to confirm: when I use "ping www.mysite.com" it comes back request timed out for the 4 attempts, but I can manually reload the site in my browser.  Should I be concerned?

Yes. Are your sure your browser isn't just caching a copy of your site and displaying that? What happens if you clear your browser history?

Contact you hosting provider ASAP and see if they are having issues. If you are on a shared server there could be an issue with that.
Andrew Gibson Send private email

Set up Pingdom to monitor your site nonstop.
It's probably not being attacked, just the host is acting up.
This could affect traffic of course. If you have a breakdown of traffic sources you can check what kind of visitors are missing - that will give a hint on what went wrong. I really doubt that one single bad review could stop half your traffic no matter what.
For example if google referrals are missing, then you are being ranked lower than before.
Zka Send private email

I tried clearing my browser cache and viewing with my iPhone, and both show the website fine.

These starts are starting to get depressing:

https://i.imgur.com/vYANOQK.png

I will contact my host (MyDomain.com) today to see what's up, because as a side-note, I received 2 x emails today from clients, one dated 5 days ago.  So something must be going on with my host.

I'll also definitely set up a monitoring solution such as Pingdom as mentioned.

Thanks.

@Koan: In the past when I've published updates, the stats go up immensely, not down immensely.  So it's out of character.

Great... now my website is down!  Can't view it Safari on iPhone or with Firefox on PC, and IsUp.me reports that it's down.  :(

Well, the situation seems to have resolved itself:

https://i.imgur.com/YnkzIl4.png

Still don't know what happened, but it was stressful!
Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Did you contact your webhost? I think it was their fault.
Set up pingdom to monitor your site, just the be sure.
Zka Send private email

Zka, the reply from my support ticket from my host was that their was an error with their logs which is now fixed.  That doesn't make sense at all, because their visitor log is the same as StatCounter and Google Analytics that I use... all 3 reports were the same.  AFAIK, SC and GA get their logs independently to the host, right?

I looked at Pingdom but it's not free anymore, you need to sign up for a 30-day trial.  I won't bother.  I did try UptimeRobot during the outage, but it's no good as it reported no down time even though there clearly was.

I won't worry too much about it anymore, as it seems fixed.

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics